Storing your eggs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing your eggs

Non chook owner here(in the deeds to my house,can't keep pigs or chooks,tempted to buy an Elephant just to wind the council up),I digress.
    Where/how do you store your eggs,we put 'em in the fridge,but SWMBO was told that it destroys the protein/calcium fridging them,is this right?

Dunno, Eggwina Curry has a lot to answer for ...

There was a thread on here about this earlier in the year. I keep mine on an Egg Skelter on the worktop. I do this because it keeps them in date order, and looks good. No room in the fridge anyhow!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      Non chook owner here(in the deeds to my house,can't keep pigs or chooks,tempted to buy an Elephant just to wind the council up),I digress.
      Where/how do you store your eggs,we put 'em in the fridge,but SWMBO was told that it destroys the protein/calcium fridging them,is this right?
      Try a billy goat if you want to annoy the council AND the neighbours<g> (no, you really don't want to keep one, they do stink, especially in Autumn, but a nanny maybe, or a wether.....!)
      I always understood that eggs are best kept at a temperature just a fraction higher than is desirable for a fridge. If you haven't got such a place, the fridge is better than letting them get too warm (especially shop eggs which are not the newest at best of times).
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Mine are kept in a wire basket in the kitchen, I never put them in the fridge.
        http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Mine are kept in trays on the worktop in a cool corner of the kitchen - these are the freshest; they get put in here when they are laid. I sell from these trays. Then after a few days what are left unsold are put in the fridge for our own home use. I date each day's batch with a pencil number on one of the eggs so I know exactly when each batch was laid. Eggs will happily keep in the fridge for at least 3 weeks. I've not heard about the fridge temperature destroying protein etc, although certain recipes I've followed in the past have suggested using room temp eggs rather than straight from the fridge.

Comment

Egg skelter in the kitchen. There are only 2 there at the moment. I gave away a dozen yesterday!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I keep 1 doz eggs in a egg rack on the kitchen side - but if the rack is full up (most of the time) the fresh eggs go in the fridge - that way when we use the eggs they are always at room temperature

Comment

Mine are in a tray that holds 30 eggs on the side in the kitchen. All the eggs are dated when I collect them and are used oldest first. I sell a couple of dozen a week, and give away to family and close friends. It's not often I have more than 30 to store. When my other laydeez were killed by the fox, I had an almost full tray of eggs. I stored them in the fridge for my own use and they were still perfect 6 weeks later
                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I've got them on a ceramic egg tray on the worktop
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Basket in the kitchen...
                    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

egg boxes in the kitchen.

Comment

LOL.... tray in kitchen, basket ON (not in) Fridge, by the sink in the back kitchen and in the feed bucket where they were put on collection and haven't been dated/sorted yet (I pencil date too)....

Comment

I put mine, pencil dated in the fridge. I haven't got a cool larder and the kitchen is very hot. I work on the asumption that bacteria grows quicker in the warmth and eggs must have bacteria on them so are better in the fridge. That's my theory anyway. I never bake cakes so don't need them room temp.

Comment

Egg boxes, on the worktop... at any one time I can have 30-40 eggs there, so no room in the fridge!

Have come into work and found 4 emails with egg requests on, so they will take up most of the ones I have currently

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X