Hen Pecked - and then some

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hen Pecked - and then some

I know someone has to be bottom of the pecking order, but this is ludicrous. We've got four ex-batts. Clarissa Chickenson-Wright has been a bit off colour for a few days, hiding on her own under some bushes, looking miserable, eyes closed.

She's now refusing to come out of the coop, and as it had been 24 hours I was worried that she should have some water at the very least, so I picked her out, and put her gently in front of the food and water

I've never seen anything like it, the other three all came over from the other side of the garden and each started pecking her to bits. She wasn't even bottom of the pecking order before a few days ago.

What the hell do I do? I've shut the rest of them out of the run (given them a separate food and water supply), but Clarissa's just sitting in a corner, nowhere near the food, looking like one very sick chick.

Normally I work, I just happen to have today off. Let's just say that with this going on the chilling out and relaxing isn't going well

Any suggestions much appreciated
    http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

It could be the awkward egg syndrome thingy that lots have been having lately. However, sick chooks do hide their symptoms really well until it's too late! Oh dear, I've got my doom-and-gloom head on today!! Sorry, think positive, do exactly what you are doing, keeping an eye on her, making sure she has plenty to drink. Try half a grape or a bit of tomato with a tiny bit of poultry spice on it to see if that perks her up a bit. Good luck and fingers crossed for her xxx
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. I'm not sure what awkward egg syndrome is, but I'm assuming it's a bit of egg stuck in the vent? If so that really fits, she's got a cacky bum, we're down to 1 egg per day from the four of them (used to be three or four) and we've had loads of softies.

If it is that, then what do I do about it?

Comment

I would be off to the vets. You could try holding her over some warm water and keep sloshing it over her vent. This can help move any stuck, broken or soft eggs. Could you have her in a cat basket or dog cage in the house? I am usually reluctant to segregate any of the girls but it sounds as if she is being bullied a bit too much for her to cope with especially if she's unwell. I personally wouldn't leave her with the others if you can't be there as you have to work.

Comment

I'd clean her bum with some antiseptic in warm water, then if you can (and she'll let you) hold her bottom over a bowl of hot water so the steam helps to relax her a bit. Don't try and get the egg out yourself, you could do more harm than good. Just watch and wait, or take her to the vet, he'll be able to remove any stuck egg safely. Might cost a bit though!

Comment

I didn't mean for you to move the egg manually! The warm water makes the vent pulsate more and whatever is stuck comes out. This is what my vet advised and my girls seem to enjoy it too. If the water is not too hot they will stand in it. I'm a bit frighted to hold them over steam as they might struggle and I lose my grip. If you are really lucky you might find the vet doesn't charge too much or even not at all as the hens are ex-batts.

Comment

Forgot to say if you're getting lots of softies you might try giving more calcium. Limestone flour with cod liver oil. Baked crushed eggshells or even cooked eggs. (There's a list of other things on here somewhere, I only read it this morning.)

Comment

Hmm, I would separate her, when I get one like this they go into a separate stable so they don't get picked on.

It could be that she's taking off lay badly?
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Thanks everyone. Blimey it's complicated, isn't it? Numpty as this sounds, I honestly didn't realise that sick chooks get picked on, I've had my lot six months now and never seen a direct link between the two before

They are getting a lot of calcium, but it seems that it's not doing some of them much good where their bodies can't make use of it. It must be getting through if they're fit enough, though, 'cos I made a cake at the weekend and had to take a knife to one of the shells to crack the egg - it kept bouncing off the side of the plastic bowl intact!

I'm off to try bathing the cacky bum over warm water. Cheers for the advice - very much appreciated.

Comment

Nothing more to add but - best wishes - hope she perks up.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Sorry Frias if you thought that I thought you were meaning to get the egg out manually Not got my sensible head on today, things are coming out muddled! (it's me age you know!)

Comment

Morning all

Cacky bum cleaned yesterday, but no change. I don't have a spare run or coop, and it's going to tip it down, so shutting the rest of them out of the run would be cruel

Unless anyone has a better idea I thought I'd put her in the shed on a big gravel tray filled with bedding, prop the door open and run some chicken wire across the entrance to keep the ASBO mob out. That way they can see her, but she'd be safe and can have her own food and water supply. The shed is a big one, so she shouldn't overheat, and I can get someone to keep nipping in to make sure all's well (ish)

What do you think?
                        Last edited by Hashette; 07-07-2009, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I think that's a brilliant idea! Have you got a cardboard box, or a bucket on its side that she could use if she wants a nest box? Hope she starts to pick up a bit more today xxx
                          Last edited by MaureenHall; 07-07-2009, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Sounds good Hashette. Let's hope it does the trick and she feels better. If she's not eating you could try cooked egg and yoghurt - works atreat with my girls when they're under the weather and you could add a pinch of Poultry Spice or some Avipro to give her a boost.
                            I use a dog crate when I want to separate them but keep them in view of the others.

Comment

Yes! Fantastic, thanks Mo, I'll nip out and rig one up as well as the gravel tray - we've got a plastic box that will be just the job.

We've moved her and she's had a bit of a drink, which is a relief. I've also made up a feed of layers pellets laced with poultry spice, with a bit of corn and a few mealworms to spark a bit of interest. Wings crossed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X