No announcement yet.

2 broody hens sitting in the same shed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 broody hens sitting in the same shed?

Hi there,

Quick q. I have 2 broody hens, one due tomorrow!! and the other due in a fortnight. I have them in a separate shed than the rest of the flock, but both in sitting hens in the same shed one on either end. But I am thinking if the first hen's eggs hatch tomorrow, will this confuse the other sitting hen or could a fight ensue? Will I move hen no1 tonight before they hatch? well hopefully they will hatch? Thanks

Probably best to separate them. I would wait till the chicks have hatched and then move them. So close to hatching it's best to leave the hen where she is. But once the chicks are off you can take them anywhere. Move them when the chicks are about a day old and they are all strong enough. Then the other broody can remain in the shed until hers come off.

Somewhere on my camera I have some pics of chicks I moved recently in a bucket - a real sight. Will try and get it on here.

Comment

Any chance you could put up a 'partition' until the first batch are hatched and moveable? It only needs to be as high as a broody hen standing up! If they can't see each other, and are far enough apart, it should be OK.
      If no2 hen thinks the cheeping sounds are from her own nest, it might be tricky, but otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Oh no, I moved her last night and I have just read replies now. It was dark when we moved her so it didn't stress her. I could hear chirping from inside the eggs so hopefully they can pip their way out soon. Hope I haven't upset things. These 2 hens kept on getting into terrible fights last year when they both had their young, so I was airing on the side of caution. There was a month between them last time, but they more or less went broody the same time this year. The same 2 girls every year. The others have no interest in motherhood it looks!lol

Comment

Don't worry. I'm sure they will be just fine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X