No announcement yet.

what do you use to collect your eggs???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you use to collect your eggs???

Up til now- I've been nipping out and bringing one or two eggs in at a time.
    They're only small 40g eggs and easily fit into my hand- however yesterday I collected 4 eggs!!!!
    Needed my hands free for the electric fence and didn't want to put them on the wet floor...so it got me thinking....

...what do other peeps use for collecting their eggs and transporting from the coop to the kitchen?????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I usually use children
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

A medium tupperware box, since I get about 9 eggs a day!!

Comment

Seriously, we get four pretty large (70+gms) eggs a day usually one of us just carries them. But we have a drop down flap on the nest boxes so don't need to go in the run.

Admittedly youngest child has dropped a couple
        Last edited by pdblake; 09-07-2009, 11:33 AM.
        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

I've just been using an old egg-box, but I have this dream - which is all wrapped up with my other chicken keeping fantasies of scattering corn to a flock of little red hens, who come running to me across an inter-war farmyard, boiled speckled egg for tea with crusty brown bread... you get the idea - of collecting them in a sturdy straw-lined basket. The local agricultural show at the beginning of September usually has a lady there selling lovely handmade baskets - I bought a gorgeous trug from her a couple of years ago, but it's so lovely I've never actually used it - so I'm hoping she has something suitable.
          Last edited by bluemoon; 09-07-2009, 11:49 AM.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

My lovely neighbour has woven me a basket just the right size to carry a dozen eggs, it is fairly deep and norrow so even fighting of a boisterous cockeral doesn't make me spill them.
            The basket is just the right size for when my granddaughter comes to stay, she has no trouble carrying the eggs back from the coop.

Comment

Dressing gown pockets Or if later in the day, an ice-cream tub. I do like the idea of an egg-basket though. Perhaps I should start dropping birthday present hints
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I generally use a basket, but occasionally put them in my coat pockets if there are just a couple. Trouble is, I sometime forget they are in there and go off and do something like lean against a gate - oh that familiar sound of the faint crunch and a warm sticky mess in the pocket!!!!!

Comment

my baby's bucket from her bucket and spade set!

Comment

I just use whatever comes to hand when I'm on my way down to collect them but admittedly have also done the squished in the pocket trick and also the dropping at least one of them trick too!

Comment

A 12 egg box - more in hope than expectation!

Comment

I use my kids small metal bucket that they got for easter (it was filled with choc eggs). I've put hay in the bottom and it looks so nice with the eggs nestled on the top. Love it!

Comment

I use old tattered recycled egg boxes
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I used to use an egg box, if I had one around, failing that, pockets, with the usual problem......
                            If you get 6 eggs in a suitably large pocket, the one with a thinner-than-usual shell WILL break unless it is last into pocket (and even then considerable caution is called for).' With 'standard brown layers' thin shells tend to be pale in colour, a helpful warning......
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I only have 4 a day so I use an egg box. I have a cute small wooden trug but it feels a bit silly using it with 4 eggs! However, I am booked on a willow weaving course next March so who knows, I might make myself a 4 egg sized basket!
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X