Early broody?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early broody?

So far I have had no problems with my 3 chooks but you go away on your hols and it all go pear shaped!! One of my three is sitting in the nest box on the eggs as though she's gone broody but she's not a year yet and I thought that wouldn't happen until next year. I got her POL in April/May time. She's a sussex hybrid, a magpie, and up until has been well. She hasn't layed for a couple of days but when I shooed her out of the box yesterday she just went straight back. Tried again and shut the door and she seemed happy enough and ate and drank as normal. Her vent is clean,no discharge but the only think that is different is that she seems to be crouching a bit as she walks around. Haven't yet checked to see if she's egg bound ( need to by Vaseline). She is just sitting on eggs that the other two have layed ( I took them away without any fuss from her) Any ideas anyone??
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Check for any problems such as egg bound etc - as for the funny walk I find my broodies can do that when they have sat for several hours.

Broodyness comes when it comes, I have had them sit this young 1 of my best moms is only a baby herself and also I have one sat at the moment who is 5 and has never shown any signs before - think she just wanted a peice of the action as practically everyone else is sat at the mo!

if you want her to sit then get her some eggs, if not then try the methods suggested for removing her from the nest - there are lots of methods and some work for some and not others so persevere.
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

All 4 of mine went broody at about 26 weeks- in the middle of winter!!

Of the 12 eggs only 3 made it- some were infertile (?cos of their...and the cockerels ages??)- the rest didn't make it because of the inexperience of the mums.
      At one year old the next clutch of eggs were 100% successful.

One year old mums probably make better mums?????...who knows!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Anything related to a Sussex will go broody! All my LS and LS crosses go broody pretty young, at less than a year. They are good sitters and good mums. The only thing I have found with two of my four LS crosses (youngsters) this year is that they have "abandoned" the chicks at a fairly early age (when the chicks are only 4 - 5 weeks), the pure breeds and my darling old ? Norfolk Grey keep on for longer. In fact the NG is STILL looking after her chicks (or single cock chick now as I've taken the pullets away as they are sold, collection Tuesday) and they are coming up 8 weeks old.

Comment

leaving the chicks at 4 - 5 weeks isnt that bad. as long as they have a good covering of feathers (at 4-5 weeks they should have all their wings and most of their backs and chests) they can keep themselves warm. If they are 5 weeks old, they know how to feed and water and they should all come back together at night for a cuddle up to mum and a sleep.

these chickens cant read, and therefore pay no regard to text books - they go on instinct. sometimes they are right, other time they are wrong, but leave it to nature and nature will sort it out.
          My Blog
          http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Oh I know, nature knows best. It was merely a general comment on what some of my broodies do. I've been hatching chicks for quite a few years ...................

Comment

Thanks everyone,put my mind to rest. I just didn't think any hens went broody in their first year- all new to me. But she's quite happy for me to turf her out of the nest box and remove any eggs- no grumpiness! Do I just keep doing as I am and she'll give up? and how long will she keep this up? It's got me thinking about getting eggs and .... maybe next year.
              Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Some are more persistent than others. But yes, do as you are doing. She will probably give up after 3 - 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by lettucegrow! View Post
                  It's got me thinking about getting eggs and .... maybe next year.
                  That's how I got started!!

I close off the coop and leave some hidey places for the other gals to lay - takes about 3 days...and then another 3-6 to start laying again ( if they've stopped)

I'm sort of hoping one of mine will go broody soon- cos I want those Marans I keep talking about ( if they're not too expensive) ...cos the new gals will probably be laying fertile, pure breed eggs for the first couple of weeks (if they are free ranging with the Marans cockerels)...bit sneaky- but then I could keep a few pure bred babies and sell their eggs!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X