Bantam Eggs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bantam Eggs

I know bantams lay smaller eggs than large fowl, but how much smaller? If I were to use 2 standard eggs for something how many banty ones would I need for the equivalent?
    I didn't used to like the idea of bantams, - except Pekins, but they're not like real chickens lol - but after seeing some lovely ones at an agricultural show I'm coming round to the idea.
    Also, would a pure bred bantam lay as many eggs as a pure bred large hen?
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Mine are all bantams- my 2 lads ( at 22wks) we ate were both under 2lb!

The largest eggs we are now getting are 45 g- the gals have been laying since November, and the weight stayed at 32g for months.
    Stated at about 26g if I recall.
    A standard medium egg in recipes is 60g....so that's what I go off.
    I'm getting 4-5 eggs from 5 gals...the only time they stopped laying was when they were broody- they laid throughout winter.
    Mine are pure bred cayenne and a cross breed- perhaps roitolet can let me know for sure??
    Last edited by Nicos; 19-07-2009, 02:31 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I had Buff Wyandotte bantys, the eggs were lovely, much deeper colour yolk than the large hens and they laid a lovely white egg every day.
      When I used them for baking if the recipe called for two medium size eggs I'd use three of the banty eggs. two medium size egg

Comment

I double up, ie 2 bantam to 1 large hen egg, but I've read in various cookery books that the standard conversion is 3 bantam to 2 hen eggs. I find a lot of recipes have too much fat and sugar for my liking so tend to reduce those and add extra egg instead. It seems to work for me anyway.

Comment

I agree with Richmond two bantam eggs to one regular egg I have 3 bantams and up until two went broody they laid every day the one that didn't go broody still lays every day. They are great little things in particular the black wynadotte who has fine plumage

Comment

It's gold laced wyandottes I actually fancy, Waldanzig. Something about them. Definitely think we'll have to get a trio, but probably next spring now. Who knows I may have a broody by then and hatch a few eggs.

Comment

Its about 1 1/2 eggs for 1 egg in a recipie, it usually goes on weight, in a simple sponge recipie it is 2oz of flour. sugar and butter for 1 egg, but that is asuming the egg also weighs 2 oz so therefore if you use banty eggs weigh them and like I said I usually find its around 1 1/2 (I make wedding cakes incase you wondered how come so precise!)

when it comes to eating them - I prefer a banty egg much richer and creamier, I love them poached!!!

Bantams lay nearly as many eggs as normal chickens, we probably get around 6 a week each from our laying flock and around 5 a week from the pekins!

And of course you can keep 2 bantys for every one hen ;p (just incase you needed an excuse like!)
              My Blog
              http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

they are great I like the Wynadottes mines thinks it's a cockeral though

Comment

Yep, weigh the eggs you will be using. In fact I have seen someone weigh the sugar etc against the actual eggs they intended to use (on an old-fashioned scale, put the eggs in a very light egg box, place that on the 'weights' side, and measure sugar, then butter and finally flour using the eggs as 'weight')
                  Of course this only works for the 'one stage victoria sandwich' type recipe.....
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post

And of course you can keep 2 bantys for every one hen ;p (just incase you needed an excuse like!)
                    2 instead of 1 eh?

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                    Yep, weigh the eggs you will be using. In fact I have seen someone weigh the sugar etc against the actual eggs they intended to use (on an old-fashioned scale, put the eggs in a very light egg box, place that on the 'weights' side, and measure sugar, then butter and finally flour using the eggs as 'weight')
                    Of course this only works for the 'one stage victoria sandwich' type recipe.....
                    I remember now, my Nan always made cakes like this. I inherited her scales too, but threw them out because I already had some swish electronic ones. The foolish things we do when young.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X