Ivermectin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivermectin

Various folk mention Ivermectin. What do you use it for? Where do you source it from?
    The Hen House

I know it to be used as a form of worming for horses. I only ever remember the name as I had a horse who was allergic to ivermectin and I had to avoid that ingredient at worming time.

All worming preparations are available from a vet, good pet store or farmer's co-operative. A licence is needed to stock the stuff (as far as I am aware)
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Sorry, I've never heard of it!! But I've never kept horses either
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I didn't know it could be used as a wormer. I had a discussion about this product with a vet a couple of years ago. It's not licensed for use in poultry but IS used as a cattle de-louser!

Comment

Ivermec used as a multitude of uses and is used predominantley for worms and fleas. It is a trade name and has many names the most common version of "Ivermec" that people will have heard of is under the trade name of Frontline. Ivermec was actually developed as a livestock wormer and is still used as such today - the discovery of its uses for fleas etc was a side effect!

In chickens it is used for mite and lice mainly and NOT usually for worms (as most people use the spot on frontline version) - However please be aware that whilst it is widely used as such it is not licened for chickens, it is not teested on chickens and does not come in a suitable format for chickens. Having said that it works really well !!- use with caution and don't overuse. It is effetive on fleas because it is a neurotoxin and chickens are not that big so do not overdose.

the big debate is surrounding egg withdrawl, it is a systemic drug so it is assumed that it enters the egg, but in what quantity no-one knows - like i said its not tested or licenced for chickens so no-one has bothered to find out. Based on the drugs toxicity I would advocate a small egg withdrawl period after dosing and not to hatch eggs laid from dosed birds for a week after (like I said its a neuro toxin- so could affect the foetus) In other animals the use of Ivermec does come with a withdrawl period of their products.

Hope that helps
          Jennie

(ps does my vet nurse show through much??)
          My Blog
          http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

When we used Ivomec for worming sheep, the withdrawal period for meat was 28 days. For milksheep or goats, it was useless, because at that time the withdrawal period for milk was 12 months. I suspect this was simply a case of never having tested it......
            In any case, if you use Frontline on laying hens, maybe the 28 days would be a safety precaution, at least for any eggs you might want to sell.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X