Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

too young to be left with no heat at night?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too young to be left with no heat at night?

My little fighters are 3 weeks old now and we are going on holidays for 2 weeks at the weekend. We are bringing our mother hen and her 3 day old chicks (they have their bucket and spade packed) and my brother is going to mind the 6 orphans. The past 3 days I have had them out during the day and in at night, yet when my brother is minding them it has to be as easy as possible. Do you think they will be too young to be in their own hen house at night without heat. He won't be into moving them out in the morning and in at night, opening and clsoing a door is more his style?!
    By the looks of them they have feathered out rather quickly much more than I remember last years. I thought I'd include a photo to give you an idea how far along they are. They seems very hardy. Any tips on what to do?
    Attached Files

Yes, don't worry, they will be fine. They are well feathered up and it IS summer (though I keep forgetting!)
    My Indian Game chicks are at about this stage and do without heat now.
    Enjoy your break!!

Comment

I know mine are older ( 8 weeks) but they huddle together at night- I'm sure yours would do that if they feel a bit nippy!

why not try them as from tonight so at last you see if they're fine
      Last edited by Nicos; 28-07-2009, 04:13 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My five 7 weeks old chicks have been outside for the last 4 weeks. They did snuggle up together at first but now they sleep on little perches So sweet to see them when I go to lock up at night
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Thank you for the replies, tried them last night, took them in but didn't put the light on and they were fine. I have a bucket in their run so they can hide from the rain and I look out now and they too are practicing their perching. gee they grow up so fast!!. lol

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X