YAY!!! Got an EGG!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAY!!! Got an EGG!!!!

HURRAH!!! Buffy, my Buff Sussex laid her first egg this afternoon! Our very first homelaid egg chez Apple. I'm going around grinning like a mad thing. Can't believe how pleased I am. Silly, or what?!

It's smaller than a banty egg, but it's still an egg. A little tiny perfect egg. I was quite anxious whilst she was in the nest box...I know how OH felt when I was in labour now!

Might not turn it into an egg & cress sandwich today....it may take a few more eggs to get a decent sandwich!!

Hattie (cream legbar) and Morag (Scots Dumpy) are also doing the crouching thing, so I could have quite a few eggs by the end of the week. Hopefull my Wheaten Marans and my Partridge Wyandotte will catch the egg laying bug pretty soon. I think the Marsh Daisy (Daisy) is still far too young.

Jules
    Last edited by julesapple; 28-07-2009, 01:00 PM.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

FANTASTIC news!!!!!!

Have you weighed it?????...I blew our fist egg and it sits proudly on the windowsill
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Great! They'll get bigger very soon too! Nothing like the flavour of home-laid.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Congrats that lady... you'll have to wait about 8-10 days to hard boil the egg so the shell is easier to peel
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

congrats, I had my very 1st eg a couple of weeks back and it was great....

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            FANTASTIC news!!!!!!

Have you weighed it?????...I blew our fist egg and it sits proudly on the windowsill
            Just weighed it....34 grams - I said it was tiny!

I thought about blowing Hattie's first egg as it'll be blue, and Gladys' first egg will be chocolate brown.

What eggactly is meant by a 'tinted' egg? It's quite a vague description really.

Jules
            Jules

Comment

Well done Buffy That first egg is always so eggsiting I to was wandering round on Sunday with a grin as big as anything when one of my Bluebelles laid her first. Yesterday I thought it was Margery who laid, but today it was definitely Sybil cos I saw her on the nest just before I collected the eggs (hers was still lovely and warm) Yes, I still weigh the first ones - 1st one 42g, 2nd 45g and 3rd 48g. Might get up to a 70g by the end of next month
              Last edited by MaureenHall; 28-07-2009, 05:39 PM.
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

A 'tinted' egg is a brownish one too pale to really be called brown......
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

WooHoo!

Way to go chickens! Does EVERYONE on here have digital scales then? I WILL have to upgrade from 'analogue' (scales?) and get digital! I have never bothered with weighing the first eggs - only measuring and photographing!!! Only 'cos the smallest measurements on scales are 25g or 1oz!

Our new babies are 17wks and have a few weeks to go - makes a change from the first 2 we got last year - they laid from DAY ONE!

Comment

One of our Gold-Tops laid her first egg on Tuesday and that is tiny too (and also 'tinted', it is a simply gorgeous cream colour). It isn't the first egg we've ever had, but it feels like it, largely because we've had these girls since they were six or seven weeks old so we've raised them and it feels more of an achievement. She's only 19 weeks now so it was a bit of a surprise and she has now laid us four, one a day since the first one. The second one was even smaller than the first, but the next two were a little larger, even so she'll probably have to continue to produce one-a-day for the next week before we have enough for a decent sized omelet.
                    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I've got three eggs now, all from Buffy. 34, 37 and 37 grams respectively.

WooHoo....3/4 on an egg mayo & cress sammich!

Three of the six girls were doing the crouching thing, and now one more so it looks like lots of mini-eggs could be arriving all at the same time. Really looking forward to blue and chocolate brown eggs.

Jules
                      Jules

Comment

my three girls are now laying, my souffle, was laying until a week ago and has gone off laying....but the good news is that the one that hasnt laid at all since we got her - started laying yesterday....yeh baby

Comment

Getting Bigger

Yesterday's egg was 48g which is quite an increase from the previous 37g. I think Buffy is getting the hang of this egg lark!

Really looking forward to the day when I search the nstboxes and find a chocolate colured or blue egg!

It's all very eggciting!

Jules
                          Jules

Comment

Mee too Jules! Although I only have the hybrid version of your blue & choccy-brown layers; I can't wait to see our first blue/green egg (well I hope it turns out that way!) & the dark brown egg! (1wk since we had them and hopefully 2 more til egg-laying - I wish!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X