On A Plate

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On A Plate

It is with a tinge of sadness that I write this article, the last I reckon before I do the deed. Ever since the eggs went into the incubator, the rule was that any cockerels would be eaten. I've wrung necks before but this is a little different - I hatched these myself.

Anyway, I am planning on doing it Saturday morning after the French students have gone. I'll hang them up for a day to let the blood drain into the head and then as before, cut the whole head off = no blood! Then they'll be plucked drawn and frozen.

I am actually looking forward to it, the last one we had was very nice and he was quite an old bird. The ones I have now are about 17 weeks so they should be lovely and tender. It really is the best meat you can get providing you cook it properly.

I'll let you know how it goes........
    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
    For a cleaner, greener future!

Good for you! You see so many cockerels offered free to a good home because the person who hatched them can't bring themselves to kill them.
    Though this is not a pleasant or even easy thing to do, if you eat meat you shouldn't turn away from the process that turns a living animal into meat.

Comment

Sorry NSB I hadn't read your plea before I posted the above!! Please don't think I was being personal.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew2riches View Post

Anyway, I am planning on doing it Saturday morning after the French students have gone. I'll hang them up for a day to let the blood drain into the head and then as before, cut the whole head off = no blood! Then they'll be plucked drawn and frozen.

I'll let you know how it goes........
        What the students?!!!That's not a good way to further anglo-french relations!
        Last edited by Suechooks; 29-07-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

You should mention it to the French students..one of them may offer to do it for you!!!

My friend who came to 'do' ours brought her 8 yr old grandson with her.

I offered to put the TV on whilst he waited for her- and he looked hurt and said he'd come to watch- and learn how to do it!!!!

What a difference in town/rural and UK/France attitude!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Good for you. A friend of ours (who was a butcher and now works as a ministry meat inspector) offered to do the deed for me if I ever hatch eggs. I agreed that if we ever get there he can have half the birds as payment - result. (not a cop-out but I have rubbish grip in my hands and don't even pick the girls up unless I really have to)
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

I know how you feel Matthew...one of our 2 lads was our first hatched ever and was the one which kept trying to eat it's toes and roamed around with purple sprayed feet for weeks..was really funny and sweet..thank goodness he turned into a psycho chick which the other chicks would have nothing to do with as he was so nasty!!

The meat's going to be lovely!!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                Sorry NSB I hadn't read your plea before I posted the above!! Please don't think I was being personal.
                You still digging Polly

Pekins wouldn't make much of a sarnie though
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Although I hatched out the Welsummers with the intention of eating the cockerels, I've only got Rowan, and I couldn't do it to him!!! Well not unless he grows into a great big bully and attacks me of course. Now the Jersey Giant and the Black Minorca I'm looking at in a whole new light, I can imagine having them for dinner Just got to persuade someone to do the deed for me when it's time, I'm far too much of a wuss
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X