How Long Until Eggs Are 'Normal' in Size

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Until Eggs Are 'Normal' in Size

One of our Gold-Top growers has surprised us by laying an egg at just 19 weeks. She's laid us one a day since Tuesday, so she's definitely well in lay, but they are tiny. They are however a beautiful cream colour; so beautiful that I'd quite like to add them to my entry for the egg classes at the local agricultural show. Will they be big enough by then do you think (it's about 7 weeks away)?
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

I think mine took about 5 months.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

7 weeks is a good amount of time, our Silver and Robin have been laying for about that and are now normal sized.
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
        7 weeks is a good amount of time, our Silver and Robin have been laying for about that and are now normal sized.
        Great, thanks I'll enter then. The fee is only 30p so it won't break the bank if they don't make the grade, but I think I'd be rather disappointed if I couldn't take them, I've entered the other classes for fun, but I really do think that these would be in with a chance in the 'tinted' egg class.

Comment

Wouldn't it depend on what you class as "normal" size? I should imagine for a standard egg, approximately 60g in weight, large eggs 70g and anything over that would be extra large
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

The show schedule just has classes for eggs from large fowl or from banties. I don't think it states a maximum or minimum size for either, though I suppose it could be lost in the small print somewhere. I'd better check.

Comment

Ours have been 'normal' for a month or so - so I'd say a couple of months.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If it's a Gold Top it'll probably be broody by then!

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                  If it's a Gold Top it'll probably be broody by then!
                  This is probably true. Even worse, I felt I couldn't possibly keep her on her own, so bought her sister too.

Comment

I wonder why mine took so long then??..could it be because they started laying in winter..Nov and Jan ???
                    Last edited by Nicos; 31-07-2009, 07:23 PM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My 3 different hens only laid one small one each then it was straight onto whoppers!

Comment

The Bluebelles eggs are still small but getting bigger by a few grams each day. Today's were 46 and 52g so I would think in another couple of weeks they'll be the same size (almost) as the ex-batt ones
                        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X