RIP Mrs. Cuckoo :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Mrs. Cuckoo :(

She was one of my Parents' Cuckoo Marans that I bought in March. Very flighty and hated being touched or handled - if you could get near her. She'd been a little peaky at the weekend. You know, just keeping to herself and moping around. Avoiding the others and sitting about with her eyes closed.

I picked her up (extremely unusual) to discover she was just a feathery skeleton - absolutely no meat on her at all - she must have weighed less than 6 eggs!

We isolated her, and gave her some warm porridge and mash and fresh water, and she started to eat and drink, but only a very little. In the evening she ate some corn, but only 5 or 6 grains. We were fully expecting her not to make it through the night but she did. However, she didn't have the energy to stand, and had spent the night laying in her own poo. I cleaned her up and gave her fresh mash and water, but she just didn't want to know.

This evening, I stood her up and she just nose dived onto the floor and stayed there with her bum in the air and her head on the floor, with her eyes closed. My DH said it would be kinder to cull her than to watch her suffer, and he did the deed.

Strange things Chooks

So, I'm down to 22.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Oohhh...(((((Big hugs)))))

Jules
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I don't think there's anything anyone can say, just she's in a better place and not suffering anymore. Still very sad though. xx

Comment

Another hug from me!{{{X}}}
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Hugs from here Glutton. Strange the way they rocket downhill sometimes
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I'm so sorry Glutton.... [[[[Big Hugs]]]] from me as well

Comment

Oh dear...they do keep us wondering don't they???
              I've taken to headcounting when I let mine out in the mornings - in case I've got a sick one tucked away in the coop- I can't believe I've been so lucky so far

Very sad news...but your OH certainly did the right thing- any ideas what it could have been?
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. They are a worry aren't they?

Since getting my Neighbour's Chooks recently they've all been a little territorial, which is to be expected when introducing strangers. They seem to be picking on each other for no reason, even those that usually get along. I haven't witnessed anything nasty, just a general feeling among the flock, and a few 'spats.'

Food consumption has dropped, egg production has nearly halved, and there's quite a lot of loose feathers around, so I reckon they're going into Moult. She was quite low in the pecking order, and my guess is, that she just got picked on a bit more than usual, took it badly and stopped eating. By the weight of her I'd say she hadn't eaten for days, but I don't spend all day watching them, even though it does feel like it sometimes! I think she just starved herself and gave up. She looked normal with all those fluffy feathers, so I didn't notice her weight loss.

There's no sign of mites, lice or any other parasite on her, or any of the Hens that I've checked. The rest all seem fine.
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Awww, sorry G4, there's so much that can go wrong {{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

So sorry G4 {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{huggles}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
                    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Aw Hon I'm sorry to hear it. You did the right thing though, even if it's the hardest

Glad the rest seem okay
                      http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

Sorry to hear about Mrs Cuckoo. (((((((big hugs))))))

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X