Monster courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster courgettes

Any courgettes developed into monsters? The chickens love them, the bigger the better as they keep them amused for hours. I don't go so far as to give them my own small ones but they're welcome to the donations. I don't expect they'll get one of my pumpkins either but I will save all the gooey bits with the seeds for them and they might get a sunflower head if I'm feeling generous.

We have a table by our Allotment HQ shed and people leave them on there so I always keep a look out for free ones.

Sue

Are they OK with the seeds of pumpkins etc? I have given mine the sunflower heads( very pleased to have at last raised some huge sunflowers- no slug attack- I grew them in the raised beds with the veg) and they really loved them, gone in seconds. They really are walking dustbins!!
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Pumpkin seeds I would assume are good for them - i know in kids they are good if they have a worm problem as they irritate the worms, maybe they would have a similar effect in chickens and help as anatural deterrent.

But like everything a lot of anything isn;t good for them when it comes to treats but a little is fine
      My Blog
      http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Oooooooooooo somebody left me a huge courgette/marrow/pumpkin/squash of some sort by my lottie shed door and I was wondering what to do with it Should I cook it for the chooks or just let them have it as it is? (cut in half so both sets of chooks can have some)
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Just chop it in half & leave them to it!!!Ours love them,although it took the chicks quite some time to work out whether it was toy/food or alien spacecraft!
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by lettucegrow! View Post
            Are they OK with the seeds of pumpkins etc? I have given mine the sunflower heads( very pleased to have at last raised some huge sunflowers- no slug attack- I grew them in the raised beds with the veg) and they really loved them, gone in seconds. They really are walking dustbins!!
            I like pumpkin seeds so I see no reason why the chooks wouldn't!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine have been going to the pigs who love them but the next one will go to the hens!

Comment

We gave ours their first courgette yesterday and they loved it. I just sliced it lengthways then popped it in the run. It wasn't a huge one, but it was slightly slug damaged. If it had been for me I'd have cut the chewed bit off, but we're not keen on courgettes so I only grow them for a friend and I'm getting like supermarkets and only pass on the good looking ones. We'll definitely grow more next year though now we know the chooks are so keen.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I get everyones overgrown courgettes on the lottie site. I cut them in rings otherwise the chooks turn them over and can't get at the flesh.

Comment

I was thinking, sliced in half, roasted with some bacon and some other bits, and placed on my plate

Comment

I usually bake them with cheese and onions - but this is a great idea - you can only eat so many!
                      Just made a smooth spiced chutney with big courgettes, onions, apples and oranges. Wonderful!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Just finished a stuffed courgette left over for lunch! ( stuffed with curried courgette, onion spuds and beans)
                        Went out and threw the next biggest marrow/courgette to my gals..and yup- they too seem to think they're mini flying saucers

I wonder if I put them off standing there with breadknife in hand????
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My girls have their own courgette patch The yellow courgettes are for selling and our consumption and the 10 or so plants that are green are all for the laydees, they love the sapce ships flying at them eat the inside first then the green bits, later in season I'll let some go to marrow - ever seen a chook with a marrow for a head - hysterical
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

is it ok to feed em to week old chicks? well week and a half? If so would they need grit too or will it be sufficently soft enough for them?
                            "In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle (B.C. 384–322)

Comment

A little would be ok, but not too much otherwise you risk tummy upset. No grit needed as it's soft. Depending on how many chicks you have, a couple of small cubes between say 8 chicks should be plenty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X