No announcement yet.

D Day!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well ,looks like the boys are going to get a few more days. OH is going to be late back from work this xmas (he works away) and so we'll be having xmas dinner at new year. Either that or he'll be chopping chickens the moment he's off the plane.
    We decided to go with chopping off the heads as mum (whos done this kind of thing before) advised it was the quickest and easiest. She had a terrible experience with wringing ducks necks and stuck to the axe from that day on. Its over nice and quick. Thanks for the tip on using hoods YB, did you do the chop aswell? How long did you let the meat rest? Any extra advise would be welcome as this is my first time with this sort of thing

Comment

yes we chopped. there wasnt as much blood as expected but the twitching thing was pretty grusome and went on for 5 mins, he held it over the bucket to catch the blood, (i had dissapeared by this point) for about 15 mins then got on with plucking.
      he thinks chooks will be easier to pluck, so good luck.
      advice? go out for the day!
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

to stop the flapping, use an old road cone upside down and drop the bird neck first into it and leave until the flapping stops.

Comment

So, know where to find all the missing cones now do we?? They're all in the hands of those who have poultry!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

they sell things like that at on line chook shops that will do the road cone thing without stealing. trouble is were poor. also, if we had experience with the bleed thing that is proberbly the way we would go.
            my dad used to put a turkey in an old pair or trousers and when it came out the other side chop its head off.
            but i didnt want them to be stressed before hand, so we went for the hood and chop thing.
            at least i know it was quick and they wer'nt aware.
            the longer they are in the freezer the better i feel and the more i'm looking forward to the meat, so great tip CF. thanks.
            Yo an' Bob
            take only what you need
            give all you can

Comment

...they sell things like that at on line chook shops ...

yes they do. You can get stainless steel killing cones that bolt on to the wall but prices start at about £40. You can legitametly buy road cones from various places like viking, not that they are cheap either! Or you can do your bit for the environment and drag the one out the hedge that has been there 3 years and recycle it!!

Comment

One of the boys is off to solitary confinement tomorrow. Wish me luck for saturday. Any last minute words of advise? CC

Comment

Didn't chop the chook. Weather was terrible here, howling gales and pouring rain. We having to be doing the deed outside due to lack of byre space (we just have a tiny shed) so it wouldn't have been very wise to try and go ahead with the slaughter. So looks like the boys will have a wee while longer to fatten up.

Comment

bless CC.
                    good luck and let us know how it goes.
                    Yo an' Bob
                    take only what you need
                    give all you can

Comment

I'm not being a big wimp, honest

Comment

I quite agree CC. No point doing it in the cold and wet as you can't pluck properly with stiff numb fingers, the bird cools down faster too. And to be honest the sooner you can pluck it, the easier the feathers come out. Do the wing feathers first as they are the hardest to pull out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X