No announcement yet.

Might have a broody!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got another broody - my Light Sussex banty is sitting, has been for a couple of days now. She was out when I got down there today, so I thought she was being a tease, but she went back in and is sitting on a couple of infertile eggs for now. Aunty Mo is going to let her test the fertility of some Bluebelle eggs thanks again for that, heres hoping Basil becomes a daddy.
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Well I've moved Precious, don't know if I did it right or not, but she's moved! She's been out of the new broody place and had some mixed corn laced with poultry spice and cod liver oil (don't know why I did that, just seemed a good idea at the time), had a drink of water, did a huge poo and went back inside. The eggs were a bit scattered about so I've tucked them back under her, just hoping she keeps them there!! Why did I wish for a broody hen when I wasn't prepared for it? AND we're only on Day 3
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

She's still there But ................................... one of the eggs got broken I've cleared away as much as I can without upsetting her too much, but her breast feathers are all clarted up. I've added some extra bedding in the form of shredded paper just in case it was the hard flooring and not enough under her to cushion the eggs. Not sure whether to replace the broken one with one out of the incubator. What do others think about this idea?

Comment

No, leave her be Maureen. If she's broken it out of sheer clumsiness you risk losing others, so it's best to keep some safe in the machine, just in case. Hopefully she won't break any more. Don't worry about her feathers being messy. They'll soon dry off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post
            Addiction - what addiction - i'm not addicted, i'm still in the denial stage
            I think I've actually reached the recovery stage!Andi has been offered two Araucaunas FTGH,I've sensibly said we're not really in a position now to be taking on any more!!!....even though they're what I had my heart set on before getting the Legbar eggs!....What have I done???

Maureen,Sorry about the broken egg.That still leaves her with eight?I'd probably leave things as they are.
            Exciting/relaxing stuff letting a broody do all the work,don't ya think???
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Always difficult to pass up a free hen so well done you for resisting Di. I recently took on somebody's unwanted LS cock to breed some meat birds for next year but he's been in solitary confinement since coming as he turned out to have some health issues which I wanted to knock on the head pronto before introducing him to anybody else. 2 weeks later I think he's ok so will release him soon (he's been shut in a stable bless him).

Comment

Oh two araucanas! I'd love to have them! Probably just as well I live in Croydon and am too far away!
                The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I'm starting to really regret the decision!
                  Apparently Andi was tempted to ignore me & get them anyway!....and I thought I was the impulsive one.
                  We've agreed though that we've got enough on our hands without having to introduce two newbies to the teens & maybe she'll let us have some eggs next year.
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Precious update

I thought I'd let you all have an update on my broody hen. Precious is still sitting on 8 eggs and has less than a week left. She's been a text-book broody, coming out of her coop a couple of times a day for food and water (and a huge smelly poo!). Today I noticed some downy feathers in the coop so I presume she's plucked them out of her breast to line her nest. She's moved her nest and the eggs further inside the coop so unless she's outside on one of her 5 minute breaks, and I crawl on my hands and knees I can't really see! She squeaks at me when I take her fresh food and water in the mornings, not aggressively, but just warning me to leave her alone. I've never seen a chook manage to look so "flat", she's really spread out and seems to be covering all the eggs no problem.

So, we're on the countdown now Hatching is due next Monday,and as I've also got some eggs in the incubator that were put in on the same day as the ones under Precious, hopefully, "if" they start pipping, then Precious's eggs should be too. I'm getting all excited again now

Comment

Well my little banty is still sitting on the eggs you sent Maureen. Going to attempt candling them when she is taking one of her daily breaks. She has been on for about 10 days now, so another 11 to go at this end.
                      Kirsty b xx

Comment

not looking! am jealous! Fingers crossed all is well and stay's well for you and Precious.
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X