Sablepoots-what colour are they?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sablepoots-what colour are they?

Bought these guys (and gals) at a rare breed auction after going n nnn nnn nno YES. But what colour are they really? Ive seen picis of millefluer and they have similar markings, but totally the wrong colour...its another i dont care anyway cos theyre lovely..but i would like to know, just for the book.
    Attached Files
    Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Found this link

The Poultry Keeper • View topic - Sablepoots

Hope it helps
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

we have millefleur Barbu D'uccle here, as well as some young lavender and white sablepoot too. i would suggest that yours are a white mottled type (not sure of correct names as we are just starting with them this year)

we have also picked up some belgian blues which ar esmall bantams like the sablepoot, but without the leg feathering.

They sure do look nice, dare i ask how much you paid??
      My Blog
      http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Not got a clue...but they're stunning looking!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

sorry guys - ignore mike

They are Porcelain Sablepoots - the female has stunning colouration, they are really really lovely, very nice.

Jen
          My Blog

Comment

And here's me thinking sable was french for black!

When I read the thread title I thought they were a kind of plum. Now I'm REALLY showing my ignorance. Well, if you've got it, flaunt it.

They are lovely chickens by the way. I like the blue laced ones on the link.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Do you know Flummery I had never thought of it like that - noir is in fact french for black, the word sable means sand.

Sable as we use it comes from the russian I beleive and origionates due to a mammal called a sable which is like our pine martin and is a native animal of siberia where it is prized for its fur and is now a term used to describe any animal of a similar grey/black colouration - hence our ferret is a sable!

Sablepoots are a form of ductch booted batam, however in the dutch language the word sable also refers to black colouration, so pass as to how you get a white or a lemon sablepoot

BTW - dutch for paw is poot!
              My Blog

Comment

So the name roughly translated would be a sand shoe hen - which given the feathered feet makes sense!
                The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Aha! I think I must be thinking of the world of heraldry - black is sable, red is gules etc? Or am I totally barking? (Don't all say 'YES' at once!)
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

nope - you are correct Flummery!
                    My Blog

Comment

So that's how the Sable antelope got it's name.... google a pic...
                      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Wow - they are lovely RedThorn (I googled them!!) yeps the word sable when used to describe colouration of an animal comes from the animal sable - a forest inhabitent of russia and siberia - related to pine martins, ferrets, stoats and mink etc. like mink, sable fur is highly prized and they are farmed solely for this purpose.

Tpeers - well kind off except sand is the french translation for sable and the footed bit is a dutch translation, the dutch translation of sable is sable its a colour in dutch (not that my dutch is any good further than the usuall hello, goodbye and give me a beer!!!) - so my assumption is they were origionally a black colour of featherfooted bantams -then modern fancy breeding has lead to colour variations as seen with many breeds of chickens - Maybe!!
                        My Blog

Comment

Chap I know has one and says it a Porcelaine (sp?). He has tons of other colours too, but I've always preferred that one.
                          Last edited by bluemoon; 20-08-2009, 04:28 PM.
                          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

My Rough Collies are Sable and White and the sable is supposed to mean brown with black tips!

Comment

Cool - in the Shiba thats reffered to as sesame - funny isn;t it what we use to describe things and their colours
                              My Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X