No announcement yet.

Sablepoots-what colour are they?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are even better in real life Bramble. Truly spectacular to behold!

I love language roots and how words cross language barriers
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

It is a fascinating subject I quite like the history of place names and how they originated from celtic and saxon (german) norman (french) and viking (denmark).

Its also interesting when learning a foreign language how many words you understand without even trying, I recently learnt Polish and am always amazed at the words we use that are the same. I think teh strangest language for that that i have learnt was welsh, where the language has not developed they use english words so in conversation you actually use english words.
      My Blog
      http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

I wish I had more room I could really get into keeping more chickens. Expect to see me on an episode of life of grime in 40 years

Comment

Lol..you guys are all great. Not only do you give answers but also some fascinating sidetracks. I love finding out where words and phrases originate from too, and have been blessed to hear a friends friend read part of a saga in actual anglo-saxon, its so powerful it made me feel like picking up a sword myself.
          Bramble..polish and Welsh !!! ohmi goodness, how many others..bows in awe.
          Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Anyway thanks to all who provided links and said porcelaine. I was told at the time but had forgotten. Memory like a bucket with the bottom knocked out, lol.They came from Kendal Auc Mart first ever sale of poultry, and rare breed cattle and sheep. And Mike?Bramble i'm not offended, I paid £40 (dont know if thats good or bad) and theyd been entered by T & R Addison, whoever they are. They must only be young birds as theyve really grown and changed, no sign of eggs yet though. They are real characters, she's so quiet and coos rather than bucs, but he crows and threatens to attack my geese when they walk past the run! She wont hop up onto a perch, but he flew over the loose-box door, and its 4'6 high, I nearly fainted, he flys like a bird, not a chicken!! Thank goodness she doesnt, or they would have vanished, hence the run.

Comment

Oh they can fly - very very well. They will roost in trees if you allow them!! They need a run with a roof.

I tend to find with most of our booted bantams that POL is a lot later than all of our others, most of them don;t see to start till around 28 weeks, if you read information on them it disagrees with this and i'm sure its probably just us, but they do seem later layers. Looking at the female she is this years bird, she still has a small comb.

£40 is a fair price for a trio, you got a very good deal and they are lovely, I would be pleased with those for that money.

Ok so Welsh cos Mike is welsh and we thought it would be fun to learn so we both learnt it, Polish cos in 7 weeks time my brother is marrying his girlfriend of 3 years and she is Polish so my brother and I went to learn it and I get plenty of opportunity to practice, mike can say hello and order a beer and swear to you in polish (do you actually need anymore than that?) French and German - I did them at school and carried on afterwards, my German is better than my French but I can get by in both. and that is it - nothing special really.
              My Blog

Comment

We're building them a bigger coop and run as I write..lol. Got them in the middle of June, and at that point his comb was smaller and not as red. And he didnt crow, but that could be stress cos when he started it was a proper doodle doo not a strangled doodlgwerk effort. They atrnt hugely taller, but have broadened out and his wings and rump feathers have developed a lot. Watching my own rugby team grow Id guess now that they may have been around 8-10 wks. So possibly around 18wks ish. Watch this space.These are definately staying forever...yeah..along with.....

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this, but I've been talking to the chap who keep Sabelpoots today and he says that technically it's an Isabella Porcelaine. There is another type of Porcelaine - he did tell me what the other type was called too, but I've forgotten the full name - it'll come to me......eventually.
                  Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

thanks bluemoon. the trouble with chickens i find is that there are so many patterns and so many colours to remember, then someone creates a "new" colour and you have to remember that.

it used to be teh same with Pilkies! now you get partridge pilkies, black pilkies, snow flakes pilkies.... they all look pretty much the same!!!! just someones artistic wording to sell a hydrid at a huge profit by trying to pass it off as a special breed!

Thanks for the naming of this though. i will commit to memory......at least for teh next 20 mins until the senility kicks in again!
                    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post

it used to be teh same with Pilkies! now you get partridge pilkies, black pilkies, snow flakes pilkies.... they all look pretty much the same!!!! just someones artistic wording to sell a hydrid at a huge profit by trying to pass it off as a special breed!
                      Jennie - what in heavens name is a "pilkie"? BTW are you going to Morda on 20th?
                      Last edited by Suechooks; 29-08-2009, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Ok Bluemoon, thanks for the update, now you've whetted my curiosity as well, cant you get your bloke with poots to send some picis?
                        Bramble I'll challenge you for top place in the "senior moment memory stakes" 1st prize is ......err I forgot
                        Is a pilkie pekin x silkie, and what does snowflake colour look like, sounds gorgeous

Comment

pilkies are indeed silkie pekin cross. the snowflake is basically the silver partidge of the pekin mixed with fgod knwos what in the silkie to create a mottled "pilkie".

not bad for £45 a trio!!! seriously. i have some appenzellar x pekins - i shall call them appenzekins and charge £90 each - why not - works for everyone else!!

sue - morda sounds like a possibility although i went to leek to SELL only, ended up coming back with a pair of Cornish game! he's a dark cock and she is a jubilee hen...... i am now thinking of all the various crosses for meat birds, IG x Light sussex, IG x Dorking....

Might drop on over to sell some this time at morda. Sue, the chap you had the birds from is at the Newport Game Fair this weekend, i might drop over on Monday and see what joys he has to tempt my wallet!
                          My Blog

Comment

sue - morda sounds like a possibility although i went to leek to SELL only, ended up coming back with a pair of Cornish game! he's a dark cock and she is a jubilee hen...... i am now thinking of all the various crosses for meat birds, IG x Light sussex, IG x Dorking....

Might drop on over to sell some this time at morda. Sue, the chap you had the birds from is at the Newport Game Fair this weekend, i might drop over on Monday and see what joys he has to tempt my wallet!
                            My girls started laying on Friday! All 4 on the same day! Is that Newport Shropshire? Could be tempted to go! Busy sorting out the new polytunnel though so maybe not! Will definitely go to Morda though.
                            Last edited by Suechooks; 30-08-2009, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Yep Newport shrops - at the Deer park in Chetwynd It Sunday and Monday - its teh shropshire game fair.

Morda is a def for us we think got some to sell this time maybe - might even make it as far as the pub this time
                              My Blog

Comment

Yep Newport shrops - at the Deer park in Chetwynd It Sunday and Monday - its teh shropshire game fair.

Morda is a def for us we think got some to sell this time maybe - might even make it as far as the pub this time
                                See you there then! Don't forget to book your pens with the pub.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X