bluebell eggs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluebell eggs

we have just bought two bluebells to go with our four chucks,cananybody tell me the colour their eggs will be?,i am told they are very docile birds as well as being good layers,but how long do they take to settle down? any knowledge of the breed would be much appreciated....thanks in advance

They lay pale brown eggs.

I got 2 bluebells plus 2 light sussex at the same time to go with my 2 older girls and a cockerel - they all got on OK from Day 1 (after about an hour of being kept separate) and I can handle my four new girls (they are very calm) but not the older ones.

My bluebells are wimps, at the bottom of the gang but I know someone with 2 who are the bullies of their flock - so I guess it all depends on individual circumstances. I chose them cos I liked the look of them so don't know any of the 'official' breed facts. They started laying at about 20 weeks (a bit vague as was told they were "about" 16 weeks when I got them).

Just sit back and enjoy watching them - mine are very talkative, they twitter all the time!

Comment

I've got 4 Bluebelle girls about 29 weeks old and 1 Bluebelle cockerel who's about 8 months. The girls have been laying for about 4 or 5 weeks, lovely pinkish-brown eggs. Basil is certainly fiesty and I won't be keeping him once I've hatched some of the eggs. The girls are docile and friendly but whenever I want to pick one up for a cuddle and chat Basil gets annoyed so it doesn't happen very often. They're really lovely birds, one of my favourite breeds
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

i bet your basil makes plenty of noise,i hope you live out of the town as the early morning calls have been known to annoy neighbours.thanks for the info,much appreciated and best wishes in your poultry keeping.

Comment

i seem to have two of the biggest wimps,they have been put in the coop with the two black rocks and two isa browns...and its very peaceful and quiet at the moment,we will see what happens in the morning..thanks for the help.

Comment

My bluebell is at the bottom of the pecking order out of three (others are light sussex and ginger warren). She lays beautiful eggs, but not as regularly as the others. Also she hates being picked up! But she is beautiful...
            What is this life, if full of care,
            We have no time to stand and stare
            . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
              i bet your basil makes plenty of noise,i hope you live out of the town as the early morning calls have been known to annoy neighbours.thanks for the info,much appreciated and best wishes in your poultry keeping.
              Actually he doesn't make that much noise. Yes, he has his moments, especially when there's strangers (to him) in the garden, but on the whole noisewise he's not too bad. No, I don't live in the countryside, I'm in the middle of the town. 1 neighbour has grumbled about him but all the others thinks the sounds are lovely. I don't get him up till 8am though, just so the neighbours don't get the noise too early in the morning.

Comment

Normal egg colour :-)
                All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

the two bluebells are being bullied by the black rocks,while the two isa browns take no notice of either pair,the two new birds just sit on top of the coop..in their enclosed area..,i move the older four out into the garden,but it just starts again when they are brought back in late afternoon/early evening. i knew that it takes time,but does anyone have experience of how short or long this takes as i am getting earache over this from the other half

Comment

Bluebelles can take a little bit longer than other chooks to settle in, and they do seem to prefer to be on top of something. Whether or not it makes them feel safer or not I don't know! Again, as RT & I both suggested on another thread, perhaps use some temporary fencing to section off an area of the run for them until they feel happy mixing with the others. They can give as good as they get, but seem to have to do a lot of thinking about it first. I think they're probably the "dumb blondes" of the chook world

Comment

Bluebells..cautious chucks

The two new girls are slow to mix,but each time someone goes into the pen they appear from their hiding place/coop top,and then calmly stroll round,keeping out of reach but sounding really relaxed,they make lovely little chirping sounds,unlike our raucous,bossy blackrocks.they are definitely wimps,but one of them does seem to be braver,coming out to have a quick look then dash back if the old guard appears,so it will take some time for them to bond with the rest.we have now named them(not sure yet which is which)due to their lovely neck colour as bella and donna.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X