Sunflowers and other food for chooks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunflowers and other food for chooks

I have a sunflower in my garden that now has a head of seeds and intend to give it to my 3 muskateers in a couple of weeks.
    Has anyone else given their chooks a sunflower head?

I'm a big one for re-cycling and have found that my lovely girls love to eat carrot peelings, seeds out of peppers, lettuce that has gone to seed, dandelion leaves, grass-clippings from the lawn and the crusts off bread!
    This week I went over the sprouts to rub off cabbage white eggs and found a good few caterpillers........I passed these onto the girls, who went WILD!
    (Felt rather guilty, but recovered when I looked at the holes in the brassica leaves!)

Have sown some winter spinach recently and OH tells me he HATES spinach
    ( we will see!!)...but even if he refuses it, I'm sure the chooks will enjoy it!

I used to grow sunflowers for my hens, cut and dried the heads and gave them one a week as a treat.
    Mine also love spinach, spinach beet and swiss chard as well as cabbage thinnings.
    Boiled spuds and spud peelings also go down well in the winter along with boiled carrot, swede and parsnip peelings. Got to keep them happy!!

Comment

All the above! Plus overgrown courgettes, all summer squashes, marrows, winter squashes, - mine and those from others on the allotment site! Fallen apples, soft fruit if I'm not quick enough plus as much of my banana and sandwich as they can con out of me!
      Last edited by Suechooks; 29-08-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

They love corn on the cob too! slugs and snails, the cabbage white caterpillar's are a treat in this household too!
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I gave mine (the ones on the allotment, before they were killed) a couple of sunflowers last year and believe it or not - about 200 odd sunflower seedlings came up where their run used to be!
          All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
          For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X