No announcement yet.

Flubenvet.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also use Diatom. I spread it liberally about once a week (wearing a mask both when I brush the old stuff out and putting the new in.) It definitely helps control the mites but I use belt, braces and suspenders approach so use Flubenvet for worming, Poultry Shield for cleaning and thorough spraying,newspaper under the perches, Smite for every day perch spray, mite powder on the birds, Jeys and lime in the runs...................... You name it I've probably got it in my kit!

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Cheers Frias, do you sprinkle it about the coop and put it in their food? It sounds much easier than the Flubenvet (and more cost effective too)
      Yes I do put in coop and food. Still need Flubenvet though and one tub lasts ages even worming monthly. I'm not even half way down my first tub. I expect it will go out of date before it's finished.
      Diatoms is very heavy and unless you can get it locally is gonna cost an arm and leg for postage. I'll wear a mask in future when using it. The bloke at the place where I got mine doesn't use a mask and has had chickens for over 40 years. Don't know how long he's been using Diatoms though.

Comment

I think I saw it at the animal feed place when I got the hen food at the weekend. Off to see if I was right shortly as I would like to treat the coop before putting the girls back in there tonight.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
          I think I saw it at the animal feed place when I got the hen food at the weekend. Off to see if I was right shortly as I would like to treat the coop before putting the girls back in there tonight.
          You don't need much............I usually buy about half a kilo from ebay quite reasonably!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I bought my Diatoms in huge tubs. It was on BOGOF offer at the time and as it's millions of years old already it's not going to go out of date is it.
            Forgot to say also use it in dustbath.

Comment

The breeder that I got my chooks from said that Diatoms was harmless when breathed in but the amount of dust that it creates in the air makes me worry so I've started to use a mask.

Comment

Originally posted by Squizz View Post
                The breeder that I got my chooks from said that Diatoms was harmless when breathed in but the amount of dust that it creates in the air makes me worry so I've started to use a mask.
                Just read the link I've put on post 14!
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just got some Flub today. It said to withhold treats for the 7 day period, which I can see is important for them to take in the required medication. I can probably just about get into the run in the mornings when I normally lob in a handful of sacrificial greens while I clean out the house, but there'll be some long beaks in the evening when they don't get their handful of corn, grit and a few mealworms! The company sent a small pack of mealworms (and a rubber egg!) with the order, saying, 'Here are a few worms that are good for your chickens.' Fancy sending them a treat when they can't have one!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

When I treat my lot with Flubenvet, I hold back on the treats till their feeders are completely empty and their crops are full, then give a half-portion of treats about 15 minutes before bed
                    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Although we've not done ours yet,I can't see that a handful of mealworms between them would do a lot of harm?Maybe that was why you were sent them,because they're not going to fill them up as much as maybe a corn treat?
                      I'll probably do as Maureen & give them their food & if it's all gone 1/2 hour before bedtime say,then give them a couple of mealworms each.
                      Do greens count as a treat or would a few leaves between them be OK?
                      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        Just got some Flub today. It said to withhold treats for the 7 day period, which I can see is important for them to take in the required medication. I can probably just about get into the run in the mornings when I normally lob in a handful of sacrificial greens while I clean out the house, but there'll be some long beaks in the evening when they don't get their handful of corn, grit and a few mealworms! The company sent a small pack of mealworms (and a rubber egg!) with the order, saying, 'Here are a few worms that are good for your chickens.' Fancy sending them a treat when they can't have one!
                        And the rubber egg is for????????????? (the mind boggles)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I think you are supposed to use it to teach young birds or ex-batts to lay in the nest box! Either that or to let them have a mini-rugger game?
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X