No announcement yet.

opinion please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done you for persevering! I do hope the chooks are ok. It makes my blood boil when I hear of apathy/abuse like this.

Comment

I think its called a lesser blackmail sort the chooks or no funding

the chooks are okay, they look okay but just need some love and attention

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
        I think its called a lesser blackmail sort the chooks or no funding
        It's known as Greenmail (as in you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours)
        If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
          It's known as Greenmail (as in you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours)
          Whatever it was, thank goodness it worked. Looking after chooks is not rocket science, food, water, keep the coop clean. It doesn't even take that much effort on a day to day basis, just a regular commitment. If their chooks are in these conditions I'd worry in case these people have other animals we don't know about, after all if they can't even be bothered to fill a feeder once a day, who's to say that they haven't pets at home who are equally suffering? If it becomes necessary to call the RSPCA again it might be an idea to ask them to initially visit the people at home and accompany them to the allotment, that way they'd see if there was a dog/cat/rabbit or whatever and if it was OK.
          What also worries me about situations like this - from a purely selfish point of view - is that people who keep livestock on allotments will begin to get a very poor reputation because of the actions of a few, and that societies/councils will become reluctant to grant permission. If it were not for my lottie I couldn't really keep chickens and I can't imagine life without them now. Mine are on a large site, most people keep a few hens and, as far as I'm aware, all are well cared for. It would only take one person to be neglectful though and we would all be treated with suspicion.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

After a bit of discussion it seems that Chickens do not need food all day and bit scattered on the floor is apparently adequate

I'm on the verge of resigning from the allotment, suddenly this women is the guru of all chickens and know what they need and what they dont need and the rest sit on the fence

one good point is that I have had agreed that if I can get the lady from the BHWT (if they are the right initials, the battery hen welfare) to come and talk to the chicken keepers this may sway them into doing something

We will see

Comment

Before I write this,I want to say that I wholeheartedly agree with you that these chickens really don't seem to be getting the basic care they need,but...if he is just meeting the RSPCA's minimal requirements,there might not be a lot you can do to change his ways by enforcing new ones.SO!Have you tried discussing with him how basic care & a little more space could actually improve the quantity & quality of the eggs?I know that's not the bee all & end all for most of us,but it seems to me he has only got them for the eggs.Perhaps you could somehow convince him that by making a few changes he would actually benefit?Also have information at hand about different parasites & diseases he could encounter & how pricey it can be to remedy them,but how easy they can be avoided with just a little more work.
              It might be easier to do this indirectly,maybe have another meeting for chicken keepers & you'd appear to be telling the new keepers this info & hope he takes note.

Good Luck & keep up with it.x
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Tick9, please do not resign, you may be a lone voice, but you are a voice, without you this situation would continue indefinitely or at least until the chickens were in such poor condition that it was obvious to everyone, which is too late. I think a talk by the BHWT is a great idea.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

hi there

Been a while since I updated this post because they have been, sort of looking after these chickens...on a sort of casual basis

However as winter draws on I am getting worried, I have due to various reasons resigned from the committee, however I will and am keeping a check on these unfortunate chickens

So some advice would be appreciated. Apparently some one did call the rspca but they came out after the people had put food and water in, so they could do nothing.

Since then they have had food/water due to another kind soul donating them a water and feeder. I have had words and was accused of picking on them, well to be honest as I said at the time, feed and water your chickens and then people wont be on your backs!!

anyway, I check on them once a week, and each time they have little or no water - a text is made to the chair and someone comes and feeds/waters the chickens. what else can I do?

others are too "chicken" to speak up and it seems that there are only 2 of us that are ambassedors for these chickens

I have photos I have taken, but perhaps i am over reacting

Comment

Tick,

Are the owners collecting eggs each day and feeding and watering then?

If not, I'd take photos (auto date and time ones if poss) and send copies to the committee and to the RSPCA.

Is it possible the people no longer want to keep the chickens and need help rehoming them?
                    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                      Tick,

Are the owners collecting eggs each day and feeding and watering then?

If not, I'd take photos (auto date and time ones if poss) and send copies to the committee and to the RSPCA.

Is it possible the people no longer want to keep the chickens and need help rehoming them?
                      I would say not, if they are up there once every couple of days I would say the chucks are lucky....

I had thought they are bored of the chickens and have offered to take 2/3 on rather than getting the ex batts but havent heard anything but then I have only passed these comments via the chair and she isnt doing anything

Comment

I'd have thought if they are only there every two or three days that the RSPCA would be able to do something? Livestock of any sort should be checked fed and watered daily.
                        Keep a log of when they are there to show them.
                        Know its a very long shot but is there anything in DEFRA regs to help? Worth a phone call maybe, theyve been really helpfull when I've had a question.
                        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

I'm not sure what the rspca will do, I am trying to gain access to the report from the previous visit, obviously they dont declare who called them, but I would like to know the feedback

The chair should be putting in strict rules, but they are use nor ornament!

I will see what if anything has been done for the chucks when I go tomorrow morning

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X