What is it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Question for all you knowlegeable bods out there....

When I got the new girls the bloke chucked in a hen for free because he didn't know her breeding.....

Having done some research based on her colours she looks like a Silver Dorking but with only 4 toes.....

Could that mean she is a cream legbar as I think they look similar?

Pottygraph to follow once I find a camera!

Oh... and what colour eggs is she likely to lay?
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

When we see a piccy will probably be able to give you a clue - she may be a cross of some sort, dorking cross maybe an option that way she may have the colouring but not the toes!
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Just downloading the pottygraphs...

The only thing the breeder was sure of was that the only cockrels in the run were an araucana (black) and a maran.

I think it was one of those opps clutches that seem to crop up and this is the only egg that hatched.....
      Attached Files

Comment

For comparison the hen behind is a cuckoo maran and approx 15-16 weeks old, Korma is supposedly 19-20 weeks old.

Comment

There are all sorts of crosses out there that LOOK like something, but aren't. I have two extremely pretty bantams (cock and hen) that look very similar to Norfolk Greys, but I know for sure are not. They were some of my dad's stock which he gave me before he packed up keeping bantams and moved to a smaller place.

I have bred some very pretty crosses from Light Sussex bantam hens mated with the cock described above. Little silvery grey hens with pencilled ruffs who lay extremely well with a good sized egg. I was told they looked like Silver Sussex, but again, I know they are not.

When you look through breeds books there are an awful lot of breeds that look very similar to each other.

Comment

Just seen your pic. She is certainly similar to a cream legbar, but they have a lighter build and a crest, which your bird doesn't. I believe the blue egg laying gene is carried by the male, so if the father was an Araucana, then it's possible she will lay blue eggs.

Comment

Yes... I had noticed that! Hence asking all of you!

She is bulking up into a heavy fowl size which would imply maran rather than araucana to me and while her comb is small still it is a classic comb, not a rose.

Would help if I knew who or what 'Mum' was! I don't believe the bloke kept Dorkings, certaintly I never saw any but he was clearing stock prior to moving.

Comment

Whatever, she is an extremely pretty bird for free. I wouldn't be fussed about the egg colour if someone gave her to me! She's lovely.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Oh quite! She is so pretty it doesn't really matter - just TOH likes to know which hen laid what egg - fussy man.

Comment

She looks rather like my copper blue marans did at that age.
                    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

She's a ................................................................................................ chicken and very pretty she is too
                      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Oh Wow! You think!?

Thanks Maureen I knew I could count on you!

Comment

Korma's a curry..............

Well actually to my inexperienced eye she actually looks like a cross between a Bluebelle and a Magpie - sorry shall I go find a hole to bury meslf in?

Quick Question - Does your cuckoo hold her tail very much to one side, she looks like she's doing it in the photo and it's just that Cookie our Cuckoo does that
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Yes she does!

Comment

Thinking about it - Blackie holds her tail consistently to the right as you look at her and Korma to the left......

Left and right clawed hens?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X