Injured Wellie!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured Wellie!

One of my Wellsummer girls has been attacked and injured and I don't know what did it!! She's got a huge wound on her head, just at the side of her comb, it looks like a piece of skin about the size of a 50p piece or maybe a bit bigger has been ripped off. She doesn't seem too upset about it, she's eating and drinking ok and went to bed on her perch tonight just the same as usual. I took her off the perch so I could get a good look, the wound seems clean, not infected, and any bleeding has clotted over it. I've sprayed it with the aloe vera purple spray and sprayed some anti-peck on her too just in case the others start having a go at her. Could a rat do that kind of damage? Or a cat? If it had been Rowan getting a bit too amorous, then wouldn't the injury have been more at the back of her neck?
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Could be a weasel or rat I suppose? Best to put small avery mesh around the bottom 3 foot of the run which will deter them.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

hope she's ok. I would have thought that the wounds would have been lower down hence the "riding saddles"( to protect their backs) but could have pecked her to stay on top perhaps?
      Last edited by RedThorn; 13-09-2009, 09:24 PM.
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Cockerels do quite often 'hold on' just behind the comb, but I wouldn't expect that to lead to such a wound (unless she was trying to say "no"?).
        Rat bite is possible, although they are more likely to go for a 'meatier' bit....
        Last edited by Hilary B; 14-09-2009, 07:28 AM.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I suspect the cock has done it. Mine do tend to get a bit rough sometimes and certainly the younger cocks tend to have a few grabs at the head and comb in an attempt to get the hen to submit prior to mounting. The older more experienced ones on the other hand just walk up to the chosen female and push them to the floor with a foot!

Comment

How romantic!
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Actually, to watch my old bantam do it, there is definitely an art to it! He's very gentle and despite having wickedly long spurs, has never hurt a single hen. However, I did have to stop him once when he pounced on a recently released broody, did the deed, then stayed standing on top of her, feet on shoulders, and let TWO younger boys have a turn, each time pressing her down between matings. I had to go and pick the hen up and carry her away for a rest. Something I have not witnessed before or since.

Comment

Well she looks no worse today and none of the others are interested in investigating her wound, so I'm just watching and waiting. I gave her head a good spraying of aloe vera purple spray last night, and I might do it again tonight. I think it's me that's more bothered!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                  Well she looks no worse today and none of the others are interested in investigating her wound, so I'm just watching and waiting. I gave her head a good spraying of aloe vera purple spray last night, and I might do it again tonight. I think it's me that's more bothered!!!
                  MO - Where did you get your aloe vera purple spray? I've got ordinary Gentian Violet but the Aloe Vera sounds great

Comment

I don't like the sound of cockerels
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                      MO - Where did you get your aloe vera purple spray? I've got ordinary Gentian Violet but the Aloe Vera sounds great
                      I got it at the local "County Stores" (or it might be Country Stores), now Wynnstay in Stafford. They sell all sorts of farmy preparations, feeds etc. Can't remember how much it was though. On the label it says NAF CARE Stable (must be used for horses!) Aloe Vera Purple Spray "Supports the natural healing of minor cuts, abrasions, broken and chaffed skin". The address on the label is Natural Animal Feeds, Wonastow Road Industrial Estate, Monmouth, NP25 5JA and there's a website, www.naf-uk.com

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll add it to my first aid kit as soon as I find it. I'm going to have to go to Wynnstay on Sunday on way back from Morda sale as they are the only local place with Hemcore so I'll have a look there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X