advice on winter flooring

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on winter flooring

Having had some pretty bad weather in the last few weeks, I have decided to allocate some of my allotment to an area for the chucks over the winter

I dont have a lot of money to spend.....and cannot concrete etc as its not my land

However I dont want them wallowing in mud, all winter if we have a terrible one

So what are people's suggestions, the plot does get some water run off from the rest of the plot...is currently bare due to the chucks wreaking havoc on the grass previously during bad weather

thanks in advance

Pallets.Usually got for free, well off the ground and easily hose-downable.

Comment

Here is the set up, I have a four space rotation system at the moment

Comment

Straw? Plenty of it so it doesn't get "too" soggy, and they can still scratch about and dig. It'll compost down too, especially with the poo that's in it
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I use a combination of pallet tops, paving slabs around the entrance, wood chippings and straw. I have a covered area where the pallet tops go and cover them with chippings then a wadge of straw each day which they'll poke about in. Easy to compost too.

Comment

Slabs or pallets or a mixture. If it gets 'run off' water DO NOT put anything compostable directly on the earth. It will just add 'texture' to the mud!
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

my chucks get into no end of scrapes, like falling behind the run, when they should even get near that bit

so would they be able to fall through pallets?

Comment

Nah, mine spent most of a very wet winter on pallets the other year and were ok. It was better for them than mud.

Last winter not so bad cos at least it was icy cold and everything was solid!!
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X