Mixed Corn.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Corn.

We don't use mixed poultry corn much - except as a bribe - but we thought that we would give them it more regularly over the winter months, especially as a late night treat to help keep them warm. Previously we bought it in 5kg bags, but today decided that a 20kg sack would work out considerably cheaper and bought one of those. It has a use-by date of 1st December. I'm sure I read somewhere that corn didn't 'go off' in the way that pellets or mash do, as long as it was kept dry and didn't develop moulds. Now I have this massive sack and the prospect of having just over two months to use it all in. Will it really be best not to feed it after this date or is it just a manufacturers ploy?
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Storage is the key here. As long as is it stored in a cool dry place it should keep ok. Your nose will tell you if it is going off. Don't be tempted to feed too much more than normal, an extra handful is plenty. If you really feel you have bought more than you need maybe you can sell half the bag to a chook keeping friend or neighbour.

Comment

Our shed on the lottie is a little damp so the corn is currently in the spare bedroom. The plan was to keep filling a tupperware type cereal storer and taking that to the plot, then bringing it home and refilling it when necessary. Our kitchen is tiny and we already have a small cupboard given over to the pellets so couldn't keep it anywhere else really. We already use the tupperware things for transporting pellets to the plot and they work really well, but of course I use two full ones every day and they're never left in the shed with feed in them. I was hoping to be able to keep two or three bags of pellets in the bedroom later in the year too as the feed merchant we use is out in the wilds and I didn't want to be stuck without feed if the weather turned bad. We use a 20kg bag of pellets every week so there's no danger that they will go off.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Agree with Richmond really, there is no real mileage in a useby date on Corn its a dried product, all that can happen is it gets mouldy - if you get it from a retail establishment then it has a date on it but if you buy it off farm then there is no date on it its just piled into a hessian sack!!

December is a short date though if you are going by dates, the sack of corn I have just purchased froma local supplier has a date until March!
        My Blog
        http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
          Our shed on the lottie is a little damp so the corn is currently in the spare bedroom. .
          I'm keeping the 20Kg sack of feed and a bale of shavings in galvanised bins outside the coop and run. If you did the same in your shed surely the corn mix would stay dry
          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X