Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broody hen Treatment - Backsides in cold water?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I wouldn't be doing the dunking method at this time of year, as they are often also in moult and with the weather so cold personally I think its a bit cruel.

I have tried the dunking method, with no obvious success. My dunked broody won't come near me anymore though as I'm the big bad wolf as far as she's concerned.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

You have a broody at this time of year!? Put her in a cage/crate with corn and water, but no bedding. Keep it somewhere out of draughts, like in the main coop, where she can see her friends. Leave her in there for four days and nights. That should do it. Failing that, just go and 'hoik' her off the nest about a hundred times a day! Oh, and wear welding gauntlets - broody hens are spiteful!
      Last edited by Glutton4...; 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

There is an overlap here with another thread and I don't think tonyg is sure what the problem is
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...hen_68988.html
        If the hen is ill, not broody, it would be unkind, IMO to go dunking it in coldwater.

Comment

I don't think the cold water method is very good idea at this time of year either - especially if you're not sure if she is broody or ill. Im with G4- I'd be very surprised that you have a broody at this time of year

Comment

tonyg, could you put your location please. 3 of my hens go broody in the summer but certainly not now in this weather. If you are in Australia however it might be warm enough.

Comment

I know of people who do have broodies at the moment but none of mine are, yet. I have a suspicion that one might be thinking about it though, dozy mad bird. Actually I think it's just an excuse to lurk in the cozy nestbox and not get her a**e out in the run in this chilly weather!

Comment

im not letting the hens in the coup during the day ,and with the cold weather we are having at the mo ,its seems to be working ,gave up on the dunking method ,thought it was not right ,so try shutting them out of coup ,pls let me know how you get on .tony

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X