new run design,creocote toxicity?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new run design,creocote toxicity?

I am finally taking the plunge and about to get some hens,I have decided to build my own coop and planned it,bought/scrounged the timber and weldmesh.
    the run is 10 ft x 4ft and 6ft high,so I can get in it and has a 4ft by 3 ft raised roosting area,the whole thing topped by a recycled steel roof.
    does anyone think I should line th roof with ply under the metal or am I just providing mite housing?
    I was considering treating the whole thing with creosote substitute as I am told this has good residual mite prevention but am concerned it may be toxic to chickens too.
    there is no rush to get the hens as I want to get the whole set up ready and research as much as possible before starting so I would be interested as to how long I should wait after preserving before adding chooks to the run.
    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

As long as its dry before the chickens go in then its not going to harm them.

No need to line the roof - try a wanted on freecycle for the bits, amazing what you can scrounge and also who you can meet - met some very nice people through freecycle
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

I creocoted the inside and outside of a new shed that the Wellies now live in. Because I absolutely drenched the whole thing in the stuff, and it absolutely stank, I waited a full week before moving in the chooks. I think they'd have been ok after a couple of days though
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Cuprinol do pet safe wood preservative.

Comment

tamsin - if its pet safe, will it be harsh enough to kill red mite? i often think that red mite will survive a nuclear explosion, they are hardy little toerags
          My Blog
          http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Maybe not, I use it with rabbits not hens. I would have thought anything that's acting as a latent pesticide isn't going to be great for other animals though?

Comment

We've treated ours with the Cuprinol Garden Shades range. It wouldn't kill red mite, but it's made them incredibly easy to clean. We give them a sponge down with red hot water and Ecover multipurpose once a week and a thorough scrub with ***** fluid every few weeks. The Cuprinol treatment means that they dry out very quickly, which makes washing them like this a practical option.
              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

built the frame and started boarding out the roosting area today, now haxe all the bits I need,think I will creocote and leave a week before getting chooks,should be finished tomorrow.extra week is no problem as I still have to get feeder,waterer and grit bin as well as feed and set up dust bath area,any one know a good supplier near harrow /west london?
                Oh need to get some chooks too!

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
                  built the frame and started boarding out the roosting area today, now haxe all the bits I need,think I will creocote and leave a week before getting chooks,should be finished tomorrow.extra week is no problem as I still have to get feeder,waterer and grit bin as well as feed and set up dust bath area,any one know a good supplier near harrow /west london?
                  Oh need to get some chooks too!
                  I am also building a coop but there is a note of urgency cos the weather is changing. Mine will be my Minorca's winter quarters and I hope to allow them the run of a greenhouse through winter. with another pophole into an exterior outdoor run for fine days.
                  Finished the coop yesterday apart from a roosting bar and a skylight. Probably just use a strong solution of bleach on the inside when I'm finuished as timber is already coated with a water based preservative. Like all my other creations, will give it a lick of brilliant white undercoat on the outside!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

finished the roof (recycled polyster coated steel)today and finished all the boarding,now just need to complete the droppings tray and the door with attached nest box,and finish attaching the weldmesh.
                    trouble is I now have to work all week till 5 and the light is starting to go early,may be finished by friday.
                    I have also ordered feeder,waterer and grit hopper so it will probably be 2 weeks until I can get chooks.

Comment

here are some pics of the new henhouse under construction
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks very good!
                        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

If I was a chook I'd be happy to live in there
                          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Looks pretty good to me! How much 'further run space' will there be?
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

the current size of the whole thing is 3 m long,I am planning to allow free range over the whole garden so run size shouldn't be an issue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X