Scary and Unusual behaviour - help may be needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
    does Verm-X do the same job as I have this in my local farmers store - what about egg withdrawl on either of these products
    Verm-X isn't the same. It's designed to make the gut hostile to internal parasites but once the bird has an infestation it won't shift it. Flubenvet is the way to go - it does say for gapeworm. There's no egg withdrawal either. I can get Verm-X from our local farm store too but have never bothered. I prefer to buy a product that I trust, online if necessary.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      Verm-X isn't the same. It's designed to make the gut hostile to internal parasites but once the bird has an infestation it won't shift it. Flubenvet is the way to go - it does say for gapeworm. There's no egg withdrawal either. I can get Verm-X from our local farm store too but have never bothered. I prefer to buy a product that I trust, online if necessary.
      I bought VermX, it doesn't work as effectively - actually, I'll go as far as to say it's rubbish. It stinks too and my girls hated it. It wasn't a cheap mistake to make either - I've wasted £15.

Stick to Flubenvet. The relief of knowing you can dose them and it works is enormous.

Jules
      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I love the smell of Vermex!!!

We have always used Vermex & found it OK(ish),very often after using it the coop would have evidence that it had done it's job,so I don't think it's totally crap,BUT....It doesn't work on/deter gapeworm which Flubenvet does.
        We now use Flubenvet & will continue to do so.I used to think there was an egg withdrawal period which is why we didn't use it before....would rather use a product that works on all of them as opposed to just some & relying on luck to keep the others at bay!
        Hope your girl pulls through.x
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Use Flubenvet for gapeworm and use it at the higher strength (the pheasant dose). I would administer direct to her on a piece of wet bread or grape to make sure she gets the full dose. Dose each day for 7 days. Also worm all your other birds too.

If she is already in respiratory distress she will be quite ill so you need to act fast. One of my partridges died this way, I'm sure from gapeworm, as they are prone to it. Needless to say the others all got wormed pronto.

Comment

Vermex is not a wormer and will not kill internal parasites.

Mail order is best for flubenvet if you can afford to wait as its cheaper however if you need it now then you have to get it from you local feed merchant - both wynstayy and countrywide stock it around here and you can get it from a vets.

No egg withdrawl on flubenvet and it really is the best for worming her. Of course we are all assuming in the absence of other symptoms thatit is gapeworm and not an infection but if you worm her and shes no better then at least you have ruled it out!!
            My Blog
            http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Didnt want to wait so paid full wac £19 for the 60g tub.

Okay now I read the instructions and I'm not sure if I've done it right:

I have 2kg of food, which should be around enough for the 4 of them for 7 days, so I added 6g of fluenvet to this 2kg feed. (Although can mix more)

Am I right in saying that I feed them this mixed food for the 7 days, or do they need 6g of fluenvet every day for 7 days
              Last edited by tlck9; 29-09-2009, 09:39 AM.

Comment

tlck - if you only have 4 and you are worried about one of them being ill she may not eat the required amount so perhaps the "treat" method is the most advisable in these cirumstances.

It involves putting a small amount on a treat food such as bread or raspberry or something they will scoff down immediatley, do this for 7 days and each of your girls will get a good dose - not sure on the measurements for this as I don;t use this method - too time consuming for me!!!
                My Blog

Comment

thanks bramble, that was going to be my next question how much powder per bird per day on a treat....

if anyone can let me know ideas on the amount of powdere...

the shop said I would use the whole tub of 60g over the 7 days??? which would mean a dosing of around 8g for 6 birds a day????

Anyway I have used 6g in a 2kg food tub and mixed it, I did put a very small dob of white powder on a spinach leaf for her which she gobbled down

Comment

60g of Flubenvet will last you ages!!!!! It's a measured dosage per weight of feed, so the 6g into 2kg sounds about right. Feed only the treated food for 7 days, though with just a small number of birds I'd go for the "treat" method for 7 days. The tip of a sharp knife dipped into the Flubenvet then put onto a raspberry, bit of tomato, half a grape or something like that, Bob's your uncle
                    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

thanks for that

i thought i was closer to the mark than the shop

Comment

If you think she has gape worm you need a bigger dose. I think it's double the normal dose but check the label.

Comment

it really is very difficult to overdose them so you will be fine
                          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post
                            it really is very difficult to overdose them so you will be fine
                            I agree Jennie! Mostly mine get it on everything they eat for a week!

Comment

I chucked it all over the partridges' mealworms and they gobbled it up day after day. They didn't keel over from overdose, and they were 6 weeks and tiny at the time.

Comment

thanks again, crumbs where would I be without you guys.....

bit of pasta slightly dipped in the powder and gobbled straight down, one pasta piece per chicken, only trouble is there are such blighters and kept nicking the pasta from each other

does worms effect the eggs? can it affect us as the eater of them?

they have pasta dipped in fluenvet again tomorrow and then the search is on for another treat...do they like blackberries?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X