No announcement yet.

Scary and Unusual behaviour - help may be needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the first vet, not my normal one, was very down beat about it and was almost positive that she would be back at the end of the cause to be put down, which is why I took the decision to go to my normal "dog" vet to do the deed

However, Much as I think Omlet is still uncomfortable, we are proceeding as the 1st vet instructed, however the 2nd vet did seem to think fungal but said to continue.

No real chance in her today, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyone found a really easy way of getting the chuck to open their mouths!!! perhaps I such bribe with worm and then add the antibotics

The crop is squiggy, so I'm not assuming impacted, but blocked - she is eating well and drinking, but her weight suggests that only a small amount is getting through, but she is having a good go - she is pooing which again would indicate that some is getting through.

Just want to say thank you again for all the help and well wishes, this is such a friendly forum and I'm pleased to have found it...

I didnt realise when I got my chickens they would give me such pleasure and enjoyment and my OH who would not step foot on the allotment is up there every day checking on them...

Comment

Haven't found an easy way to dose on my own as I need both hands. My OH holds the chicken while I open her beak with my nail then hold it wide open and syringe the antibiotc down her throat.
      The yogurt they eat willingly but stand well back as everyone within range ends up wearing it!

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
        Haven't found an easy way to dose on my own as I need both hands. My OH holds the chicken while I open her beak with my nail then hold it wide open and syringe the antibiotc down her throat.
        The yogurt they eat willingly but stand well back as everyone within range ends up wearing it!
        I wrap them firmly in a towel, then either kneel on floor with hen between my knees or sit in a chair; that gives you both hands free. I always have to do mine on my own so have had to find a way! OH is at work when I need to dose anyone. This has worked for lots of birds including a couple of young Araucanas who were really quite small. I think the trick is to ensure the wings and feet are enclosed in the towel.

Comment

Cool Sue. That's how I wrangle the cat. Doubt I'd have thought of doing it to dope the hens though.
          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
            Cool Sue. That's how I wrangle the cat. Doubt I'd have thought of doing it to dope the hens though.
            Yup Eco-chic that's where the idea came from!

Comment

thanks for the towel trick, tried it tonight and it seemed much simpler...we will see how it works tomorrow

Still no reduction in her crop....which is worrying, as the 1st vet seemed to think she would improve by the 3rd day.

Comment

Just wanted to say that I'm following this and got fingers crossed for you and Omlet
                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
                  thanks for the towel trick, tried it tonight and it seemed much simpler...we will see how it works tomorrow

Still no reduction in her crop....which is worrying, as the 1st vet seemed to think she would improve by the 3rd day.
                  Give it a little more time Tick.

Perhaps the towel wrangling will persuade Omlet to a swift recovery to health
                  If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                    Just wanted to say that I'm following this and got fingers crossed for you and Omlet
                    I've not sent you to sleep then (yet......)

Comment

lol not yet....zzzz...*snore* ...
                      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

To be fair if there is no improvement with antibiotics in 3 - 4 days then it is highly likely to not be bacterial related and your course of action requires modification.

I suggest either a trip or if you can get away with it a quick phone call to your vet, hopefully she will be able to offer advice and prescribe an anti fungal treatment. If she does sugest treating for sour crop then it is best to cease feeding so as not to add to your problem, you are not actually feeding the bird anyway with sour crop just the fungus. The anti-fungal treatment is like anti biotics, quite quick to give a response 3 - 4 days and she should be perking up. If you are brave try flushing!

Sue I use your method too - works great on almost every animal we have!!, I tend to force the beak open either with my finger or in the case of a strong turkey the blunt handle end of a spoon (carefully obviously!) Pop the pill back as far as you can in the throat and then using your little finger push the pill as far down as you can.
                        My Blog
                        http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Update number (oh i've lost count

Omlet is still with us, her crop seems to have reduced ever so slightly, my friend is a vet & she offered to look after her for me while we have to be away for a funeral.

She seems quite perking in her self, sometimes going back to this head hunched and puffed out, but my OH let them out into the big space, and she was quite happily pecking around.

I believe that it could be a fungal problem, but we will use the antibiotics up and go from there, after reading things on here, so I gave her some live yogurt today and will again tomorrow

I need to do a bit more reading and then perhaps talk to her again. Perhaps to get something to prescribe for a fungal

Comment

Omlet has been on her antibiotics now for 7 days.

Her crop had reduced slightly, and she has been running around but not the big improvement I expected from her. The vet is still happy with her but says she is going to look at alternatives for treatment

I have started with the live yogurt, I havent seperated her as yet...but as from tomorrow could....

I'm worried that if I move her during the day and remove food, she will wittle away to nothing since she seems quite thin already.

She is eating and poo-ing okay and give me a good run for my money if I need to get hold of her....need to go through some of these other posts....

any ideas most welcome

Comment

Do you have to seperate Omlet? If she hasn't got anything infectious she will probably be happier if left with the rest of the flock.

Comment

Hi all,

Olmet is looking slightly better still not 100% but as the vet said, if she is happy, lets keeping seeing how she goes...

Going back to the egg withdrawl, no one seems to give a withdrawl time on the eggs, only the meat

I have a problem in that I do not know who is laying what, barr one - how accurate are the descriptions

My poultry supplier, told me that my chucks will lay the following, due to their type etc

Souflle is a white egg
                                Omlet lays a large brown egg
                                Henna Brown eggs
                                Chicken Joe rusty eggs

I get a rusty egg, and a white egg, the other two I'm not sure I can tell apart. Only thing is that I'm only get 3 eggs, so not sure if she is actually laying. Short of moving her for the day and seeing if she lays but I dont want to cause her any stress

Any opinions would be appreciated

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X