No announcement yet.

Scary and Unusual behaviour - help may be needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just looked back on my threads...I knew someone had suggested spraying their vent to distinguish which chook laid which egg....just couldn't remember with what!
    Anyway...the suggestion was to spray with genitian(sc) violet around the vent & I'm guessing Omlets eggs will have a slight streak of it on the egg?Can't say it will work but maybe worth a try.
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

If you can manage on 2 eggs a day why not hold back the brown egg and feed it back to Omlet. That way you know you're not eating her egg and she's getting some extra protein to help her get better.
      I'd guess if she's been poorly she's probably not laying anyway.
      It's usually withdrawal for the same length of time as the course of treatment so 7days on antibiotics +7 days or however long she's on them. Tylan only has a 1 day withdrawal.

Comment

Having searched the internet I found a post on one of the other forums about this baydrill, and the lady had been told by her vets that any chicken having this course of treatment you should never eat their eggs or meat after....

Unless you keep them as pets, this seems strange, I have found reference to Baydrill (i'm sure i'm spelling it wrong) ranges from no withdrawal to 28 days for both eggs and meat

Comment

Tick,

I've just read through a few links and the advise is "what your vet advised" in the first instance and then between 7-28 days after completing the course of antibiotics. The reason being that a human eating the egg may have an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. If you know you aren't allergic to ciprofloxacine (I think) then you shouldn't have a problem.

Baytril antibiotic egg withdrawal - Google Search
          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

its baytril tlck hun - there is an egg withdrawl period on it but the amount that will get into the egg is minimal so you can eat them if you are only eating a couple a week. But like Sue said if you can do with 2 eggs for a couple of days then do so!
            My Blog
            http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

unfortunately Omlet is no better the re-gurgitating movement is back again worse today than the last week. Her Crop is inflated again

She is eating and drinking but I'm worried....

I have come this far, and I will see how see goes, but its no longer looking good. I would say she looks like she did the day I took her to the vets the first time

Comment

Oh dear- doesn't sound good does it?

My Lily is slowly improving- but ever so slowly...we've given her another 10 days before we decide what to do .

Onwards and forwards eh?
                I think we'll both have a gut instinct if/when the time is right to give up.
                -fingers crossed for her x
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos

is there anything you have done thats brought the improvement around?

I'm not confident enough to try to make her sick

Comment

My gal's problems are different- an ear infection/ balance problem made psychologically worse by the bullying- although we did keep here 'apart' as much as possible.
                    She's on her 2nd week of antibiotics.

I'm sorry I'd have no idea what to do with a crop

If she's eating and drinking and pooping- food must be going through...has she access to long grass? did you give her the anti fungal treatment??
                    If someone can show you how to empty her crop then at least you'll know if it's full of long grass and how fresh it is.
                    Hmm...that's what I'd do next- take a look at what exactly is in her crop- and has it actually gone sour.
                    Can they swallow too big stones and they get 'stuck' in the gizzard?...just a thought- that'd be uncomforted and may create a back up of food in the crop ?

Just a thought!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
                      Nicos

is there anything you have done thats brought the improvement around?

I'm not confident enough to try to make her sick
                      I may have mentioned this before but one of my ex-batts was exactly like this - the head movement and the constantly inflated crop. I just used to massage her crop and give her live yoghurt. Also tried live fishing maggots. The head movement used to go on for a few days at a time and then stop but the crop was always inflated. She had it for at least 18months before she died of something totally separate. She was always a little character and very contented though rarely laid an egg after the first few months.

Comment

how long can you feed them live yogurt for, didnt I read somewhere they are lactose intolerent? wont it upset them on a longer term basis

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
                          how long can you feed them live yogurt for, didnt I read somewhere they are lactose intolerent? wont it upset them on a longer term basis
                          This was discussed a couple of weeks ago and I think HilaryB said the lactose is altered by the fermentation process so it doesn't matter. Anyway I feed my girls live yoghurt every day in their morning mash along with whatever vitamin supplements, garlic powder, limestone flour, cod liver oil etc etc! Have been doing this for some time now (at least a year) and their droppings are fine and they're laying well and have lots of energy so can't be doing them harm. I think the problem arises when peeps make their winter porridge with milk, where the lactose is there in its entirity.
                          Do hope Omlet is ok for you. My Pip was fine - red comb, lovely feathers, happy friendly little soul, just this massive crop which did reduce overnight but never really emptied, and the twitch. I still miss her, several months on.

Comment

Update on Omlet

Hi All,

Just to let you know how things are:

Omlet is still poorly, she was taken to a chicken "Vet" yesterday and had her crop injected, it was identified that she did have a blocked crop.

Today she went under the knife and not as a roast!

She had stacks of long grass removed - note to ensure all pen areas are mowed before use!! for me in future)

So, I'm told now not to use starw, which I have only done this past week as the weather is so cold and the pen is mud

So any ideas on what to do from here on, eg to help her stay off the grass, help the boggy conditions and keep them warm in the winter months

Comment

Just a thought will she be okay on her own in a coop?

Comment

Grass is not a good 'floor' for chooks in winter. I wouldn't use anything in the run, just make sure the ground will drain. Gravel, pallets, so their feet are UP from any mud. If it would 'flood' at any attempt to wash poo away, it may be in the wrong place!
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X