sexing chicks???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sexing chicks???

A second method, known as feather sexing, has become more common in recent years, but is only possible with specific chicks who have been bred accordingly. By looking at the wing feathers of newly hatched chicks after 48 hours from their birth their sex can be determined. In hens, the primary and secondary feathers are noticeably different in size. Roosters have uniform-sized feathers.

The above is a quote, has anyone tried this method and did it work?(well obviously it must but for the back yard keeper that is?)
    Last edited by RedThorn; 18-09-2009, 08:37 PM.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Its a true method and is acurate - however I must state that for the backyard keeper it is aout as easy as sexing from combs etc - it comes from experience and is easier if you have several as a comparison!!
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

fingers crossed then that the rest hatch!

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

hmm an update. As I have 2 of each type, here goes....

Just had an update over the phone from the OH (Being out of the country really does not help with observations) one of each kind has a definite faster growth on the wing feathers than the other one so fingers crossed that it is 1 of each! now am seriously hoping that the longer feather ones are girls and pikkewyn is one of the ones with the longer feathers. also the only chick to have a name.

of the black rocks, one is pure black and the other is black with a white tummy.

of the amberlinks, one was pure white/yellow colour and the other had an amber/apricot coloured head with a body the white/yellow colour

Comment

fingers are crossed pikkewyn is a girlie
          My Blog
          http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

me too but suppose time will tell!

Comment

Ok stupid question. Whats a primary and whats a secondary? And dont say types of feather
              Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

I noticed a distinct difference with wing feathers growth between our two Buff Orp's and from about day two or three predicted the one with the longer wing feathers was a little girlie....nineteen weeks on we're still not absolutely 100%(),but the one I thought was a girl is still the one I think is a girl.(not hatching anymore Orpingtons,I was warned they're hard to sex!)
                We've got another buff & a Jubilee chick(five weeks),but haven't ever noticed a major difference with them....other than of course the fact that one's buff & the other multi coloured.
                Think it may soon be time for me to post some pics & see what you all think.....even though I know you'll all tell me Boo is a little boy!

Hope you turn out to have many girlies....especially Pikkewyn!
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by its hilly View Post
                  Ok stupid question. Whats a primary and whats a secondary? And dont say types of feather
                  I'ts about which bit of wing they are on.
                  The wing has 3 'long bones'. 2 of them are roughly the same as your upper arm and forearm, the third one is a bit like a hand (but a very different shape) Primary feathers are the ones on the 'hand', secondaries are on the 'forearm'
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X