How to make a home made incubator

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a home made incubator

This incubator is made out of a polystyrene Box which is used for transporting Tropical and marine fish (ask at your local tropical fish shop) with a reptile heat pad stuck to the lid (a 12 watt unit). It is half full with vermiculite and has a RH meter and thermometer(reptile thermometer as you need to read to 38-40 deg) attached to the side. bury 2 x 500ml pop bottles in the vermiculite to give you a consistent temp over night and when you open the lid (I will do this going forward) 2 small dishes with water in it for the RH and if the RH readings are a bit low, sprinkle a bit of water on the vermiculite

All in all I am happy with this incubator. The only thing I think would be better is if it had a viewing portal, but that is not necessary.
    Attached Files
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Is there no thermostat or fan RedThorn? Like the vermiculite idea though!

I put wood shavings in mine and the fan blows them all over!

Surely a viewing portal would be easy to cut out with a hot knife and covered with a bit of perspex!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Nope no thermostat Snadger. It worked a treat. It could quite easily be modified to include a thermostat though. Found that just monitoring, it was fine on the cooler nights, just made sure the windows and the doors were closed to keep the ambient up a bit. and the mat new only cost £10 on special

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

I have an incubator made out of an old cooler box with a heat mat taped to the side and a habistat proportional thermostat.I use it to hatch snake and lizard eggs which I place in plastic boxes with damp vermiculite in for the humidity,reptile eggs need no turning,what would i need to know to hatch chicks as this is out of season for all the reptiles i keep & I thought I might try some chook eggs.
        Eg temperature ,humidity,turns per day etc
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

This ia brilliant, Red Thorn. I don't understand the pop bottles though. What exactly do you do with them? I'm really pleased that it worked for you and I'm tempted to have a go myself.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

BlueMoon - The pop bottles are filled with water and capped. This is to give a more constant temp when you open the lid Kind of like a heat sink like painted black bricks in a greenhouse...

SnakeShack - This incubator is based on a cold blooded incubator. To adapt, I just marked the eggs with a "O" on one side and a "X" on the other and twice a day I turned the eggs so the "X" was up during the day and the "O" was top during the night. when I turned, I checked the temp and RH and dampened some vermiculite if the RH was low. during one check, the temp was a bit low, so I put a fleece blanket over the incubator as a little bit more insulation and then kept the doors and windows closed in the room.

It is Ideally too late in the season for chicks and now I will have to keep the chicks warm for longer before taking them off the heat but heyho, I was impatient

Comment

I got hold of a heating element with built in thermostat, in the form of a loop of what looked rather like thin walled plastic hosepipe. There were 'ties' to attach it to the corners of the box (a similar box to the one shown) and I placed a weldmesh 'shelf' right across about 4 inches below the top of the box, the element hung half-way between the shelf and the top, and I put 2 small water dishes (about the diameter of a jam jar) in the base. The lid had a hole cut for viewing, and covered on both sides with thin acryllic 'glass' (the sort that will just about roll up) to double-glaze it.
              It was long enough ago that I can no longer remember exactly, but I think I got just under 80% hatch from turkey eggs (own turkeys, Norfolk Blacks).
              Because most people can't be sure of turning at 12 hour intervals, the usual recommendation is to turn 3 times a day, so that if 'overnight' is a bit longer, they will alternate which side is up for the long interval.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

As usual, I probably go overboard "doing stuff", so when I'm incubating eggs, I turn them 5 times a day! Has to be an odd number so they aren't on the same side for the long period during the night. 3 times a day is just as effective though I think. It's easy for me though being at home all day, for people out at work, turn first thing in the morning, as soon as you get home then last thing at night
                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

RT If you had said about that incub before you had hatched , id of said no chance My sis used to breed bearded dragons and all her incubator gear cant go past 30 C as reptiles is about 27 to 29 C .What did you do to get the temp up to 37 and stable with one of the rep thermostats???
                  Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

I did not have a thermostat in mine Dave. Just monitored a few times a day

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X