electric fencing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric fencing

Hello all I am thinking of buying some electric fencing to keep the foxes at bay does anyone have any experiance of it and does it do the job

I have been using it since I got my Chooks last November. I was very sceptical at first, but my Mum watched our local fox stroll straight past it and out into the lane, so I have no complaints so far!

My dog keeps away, having had his nose zapped once, but my Mum's dog walks as far away from it as she can in case it jumps out and zaps her!

My only complaint is that the posts are too far apart, causing the mesh to sag. I solved it by buying more posts to reinforce it.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hi WDZ Yes we use it and have done so for several years. We first got it down in Suffolk where we did have foxes about - in fact so close we had cubs on the lawn at one point. Never lost a single bird to the fox, although my neighbour did, at least twice. Can thoroughly recommend it.

The downside of it was that if it was turned on 24/7 it would zap the hedgehogs at night, so we got to turning it off when the hens had been shut up, and then turning on again in the morning when hens were let out.

We still use it now we are up in Norfolk, but without a current through it, ie just as a barrier fence. Very easy to move about to give hens new ground etc. We do not have foxes nearby so no need for electrifying it. Plus the fact I have lots of free rangers anyway so guess the fox would take those first in any case. Having said that, all our bantams free ranged down in Suffolk and were never taken either, but that may have been pure luck.

Comment

Oh, and don't know if you are male or female, but top tip, don't forget it's on and bend over it in an underwired bra ........................ serious ouch!!!!!

Comment

We've had our chooks since March and they've had an electric fence from the start. Foxes are in the area but I think they have given up with our garden!
          But I agree with Glutton 4 Punishment you may need more posts.

Comment

Is that ordinary tape electric set close, or proper chicken mesh G4?
            Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

ha ha I'm male but will tell tell the oh about the bra thing

Comment

Originally posted by its hilly View Post
                You will need proper chicken fencing, £70 from our local Mole Valley Farmer for 50 sq.metres so good value, I think.

Comment

If you have rabbits about, the same stuff will keep them off the veg, as long as it is NEVER 'up' but turned off! I once read an magazine article by someone who learned the hard way that rabbits sometimes chew the electrified mesh, if they encounter it turned off. It then becomes useless for anything.....
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

We have 5 foxes in the field behind and bought our electric fencing not long after getting the chooks.(Fingers crossed and all that!!!)
                    Our area undulates and we needed extra stakes too.
                    This is the company we bought from- and they were really helpful even after delivery what with all my stupid questions!!!!!

Welcome to Electric Fencing Direct - electric fencing and netting systems to contain and keep out animals

We bought the one with the fine mesh at bottom.

The only bit I find a pain is moving it when I need to mow cos if the grass is too high then it's not as powerful. ( what do you other peeps do?????)
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Shift the fence and mow!! No other way.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                        Oh, and don't know if you are male or female, but top tip, don't forget it's on and bend over it in an underwired bra ........................ serious ouch!!!!!
                        If I use both wires from my bra I don't need extra fencing!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post

The only bit I find a pain is moving it when I need to mow cos if the grass is too high then it's not as powerful. ( what do you other peeps do?????)
                          I've bought a roll of narrow damp proof membrane to lay out on the ground/grass to stop it earthing out. I read about it on another forum. About £5 from Wickes
                          Last edited by Suechooks; 20-09-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by its hilly View Post
                            It's the mesh stuff. I bought a complete kit with mains/battery energiser, then bought another mesh without the energiser from someone else, both on eBay, so I could extend their run.

The Rabbits do chew the bottom unenergised strand, but the Chooks have enough to keep them interested, and haven't tried to dig out yet! The dogs keep away, the foxes (so far!) have kept away, but one of the Geese got in, but was too scared to get out again!
                            Last edited by Glutton4...; 20-09-2009, 09:31 PM.
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

the chickens would jump over the normal fence by jumping on their house. They would then spend the rest of the day trying to get back in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X