First Egg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Egg

Had my first egg today measuring a small 5cm am now very eggcited, this may seem a silly question but how should I store my eggs is there anything different to storing supemarket eggs. Just the other two need to start laying now and we have only had them two weeks so good going all round I think

Congratulations Enjoy that first egg, no other egg will ever be the same

I usually store my eggs on the kitchen worktop in an egg tray, pointy side down, and with the date on it in pencil (so I use the oldest first)
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

First egg???...WOW!
      I blew my first egg- and still have the shell!

I just store mine in old egg box trays in order of lay - and just move them along as they are used.
      One thing I have noticed is that when I used to buy eggs, I'd store them in the fridge- I'd say that they must be at least 2 weeks older than the ones my chooks lay- so they store out of the fridge much longer.

I've got 3 gals at 17 weeks- so they'll be laying soon- it's very exciting isn't it????
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Can't wait for some more now glad to hear that you store out of the fridge which is the way I store shop bought ones but I know people who do put them in the fridge. Not sure it is going to feed all of us but good to look forward to some more, the other two need to get their acts together now.

Comment

Congratulations! I bet you are as proud as punch!
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Egg tasted delicious we boiled it and then split it 4 ways I have never seen such a yellow yoke can't wait to see if any more come this week

Comment

HI LD get yourself one of these
              www.egg-skelter.co.uk
              or put it on your birthday/christmas wish list, they're fab
              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Congratulations...there's nothing quite like your first home-laid egg...except your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.........349th....

Now you can enjoy phase two...walking smuggly past the supermarket eggs, knowing you will probably never have to buy any more and knowing that you aren't adding to the battery hen numbers.

I've got an egg-skelter after seeing Flum's on her blog, and two ceramic egg trays (paid £8.49 for one and the other was £1.50 from charity shop) Gladys, Morag's & Buffy's eggs fit on the egg skelter but Hattie's & Shirley's have to go in the trays.

Jules
                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

i write the date on mine in pencil, too!would really like a little stamp - remember the lion?
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Store mine in the kitchen,date marked in pencil. My sister bought me a lovely chicken shaped basket for them Have you seen Flummery's egskelter gadget ?- really good egg holder.
                    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

We had 3 first eggs on the same day from our 4 girls. No idea whose was which, but Himself, my sister and I had one each. No fighting necessary. Every day's visit to the nest box is still exciting.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

we had egg no 2 this morning and are waiting for some more to have at the weekend

Comment

congrats to your girls! brilliant aint it. I got one of those helter skelters for my birthday. Brilliant as you always use the oldest eggs first( unless I'm poaching some for my brekkie then they're the eggs that are still warm from the nest box)
                          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                            congrats to your girls! brilliant aint it. I got one of those helter skelters for my birthday. Brilliant as you always use the oldest eggs first( unless I'm poaching some for my brekkie then they're the eggs that are still warm from the nest box)
                            "Poaching" in both senses
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X