Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pellet feeder advice please

The title kinda says it really.

Now that we have 12 chooks, I am finding they waste more pellets than they eat from the trough.

What are your recommendations for the best value feeders please?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
    The title kinda says it really.

Now that we have 12 chooks, I am finding they waste more pellets than they eat from the trough.

What are your recommendations for the best value feeders please?
    I have a galvanised hanging feed which takes a full 20Kg bag of pellets. The only ones that are spilled are when I am filling it!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That would be the ideal type I guess but I don't think I can stretch to galvanised Snadger, also no place to hang it up

Thanks for the input chuck
      Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 21-09-2009, 12:53 PM. Reason: keep hitting the post button when I haven't finished typing!
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        That would be the ideal type I guess but I don't think I can stretch to galvanised Snadger, also no place to hang it up

Thanks for the input chuck
        I got mine on long term loan off a fellow allotmenteer who now no longer keeps chooks!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

.....and I got mine from a fellow lottie holder who picked up some from an old chook farmer who for whatever reason decided keeping chooks wasn't for him.
          Keep you're eyes peeled Shirl...Good Luck vibes being sent!!!
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

get an old plastic drum - the sort that oil etc comes in or mayonnaise or even a large wine fermenting bucket you can get them for a couple of quid off ebay - drill some holes on the side and put on 3 wooden legs with bolts and then drill a hole in the bottom and fit a spring feeder - whole thing should colst no more than a tenner and if you buy the right size bucket then it will take a whole bag of feed - same thing as the ones you buy but cheaper I even think the guy who sells teh tubs on ebay also makes them up to be feeders and sells them but I think they are £15.

The legs mean no need to hang and the lid keeps all the feed dry and safe - I like our spring feeders
            Last edited by Bramble-Poultry; 21-09-2009, 02:03 PM.
            My Blog
            http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post
              get an old plastic drum - the sort that oil etc comes in or mayonnaise or even a large wine fermenting bucket you can get them for a couple of quid off ebay - drill some holes on the side and put on 3 wooden legs with bolts and then drill a hole in the bottom and fit a spring feeder - whole thing should colst no more than a tenner and if you buy the right size bucket then it will take a whole bag of feed - same thing as the ones you buy but cheaper I even think the guy who sells teh tubs on ebay also makes them up to be feeders and sells them but I think they are £15.

The legs mean no need to hang and the lid keeps all the feed dry and safe - I like our spring feeders
              Wondered about those BP. Do you need to learn the chooks how to use them or will they pick it up by themselves?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that Bramble-poultry. Will try to find one of those barrels now, I am sure Madmax can cobble one of those together.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

surprisingly Snadger they used it straight away - they are such inquisitive little buggers they just seemd to naturally peck at it!!
                  My Blog

Comment

There were designs on here a few months ago for feed and water dispensers made from the big plastic bottles used for 'water coolers' in offices, with plastic buckets. They looked pretty effective, and should minimise spillage. I will see whether I can find the thread, and if so, bump it. Might take several hours.
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                      There were designs on here a few months ago for feed and water dispensers made from the big plastic bottles used for 'water coolers' in offices, with plastic buckets. They looked pretty effective, and should minimise spillage. I will see whether I can find the thread, and if so, bump it. Might take several hours.
                      Brill, thanks. Where can you get these water holders from?
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

they are not too easy to come by as our supplier collects them when they delivers new ones as they recycle them, but I'm sure some people don't use a supplier and buy them from the cash and carry.
                        My Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X