Galvanised storage bins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanised storage bins

where do you folks get your storage bins from?, i have found a few sites on-line but they look a bit expensive!

I got mine from a farm supplies shop. A bit cheaper than an equine supplies shop.
    I've also got plastic with clips on the lids- but a rat could certainly manage to munch it's way in.
    Nope- not particularly cheap though
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Bramble suggested I bought mine from Ikea. They're £9.99 each and are apparently very good for the job. I haven't bought any yet as the nearest Ikea is a fair distance, but I'm certainly going to in the next few weeks.
      They're called Knodd bins and are a basic metal bin with a lid, which would have to be secured with a short length of bungee cord hooked onto each handle and threaded through the lid. My plot does attract rats as lots of people keep chickens on our site, so any bin would have to be rat-proof and looking at the Ikea web-site, these will be fine. I'm sort of hoping they come in different colours so I can put corn in one and feed in the other and be able to tell them apart. (failing that there's always a boring old marker pen, I suppose)
      Last edited by bluemoon; 21-09-2009, 02:48 PM.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I use plastic rubbish bins from Wilkinson. I've not had any rats or mice problems in the 18months I've used them. I paid £6.99 but think they might have gone up to £7.99 now.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
          I'm sort of hoping they come in different colours so I can put corn in one and feed in the other and be able to tell them apart. (failing that there's always a boring old marker pen, I suppose)
          Alas hun its a marker pen or can of spray paint!!!

Yeps we use these as they each hold exactly 1 bag of feed and we have one for each sort of feed I just couldn't fit the big galvanised feed store anywhere so these little ones fit in and around stuff!
          My Blog
          http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Look out for unwanted bins on Freecycle too.
            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Once upon a time there was a tannery not far from here, producing leather in all sorts of colours. The dye-stuff were delivered in big barrel-shapped plastic tubs, with close fitting lids. I managed to scrounge a couple of these. Hold about 2 bags of feed (25kg size bags).
              Unfortunately NOT totally rat proof, although the rats that got in had a 'platform' to stand on beside the tub. Once we moved the platform away, none ever got in there again, but there was a hole!
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I use our old metal coal bunkers - one is big enough for a bale of shavings and the other has the bags of feed, grit, bucket & cleaning stuff etc in.

Comment

Just had a look on the Ikea website, the Knodd bins come in 5 different colours, White, Red, Yellow, Blue and Light Green. I'm thinking of getting one for each of the runs so I'm not doing trips backwards and forwards from the house every night and every morning. The feeders are usually empty (ish) at night anyway so I could just refill in the runs every morning. Just one squelchy plod in the wet weather instead of 3
                  http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=knodd
                  Last edited by MaureenHall; 23-09-2009, 08:03 AM.
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

That's what I've started to do Maureen. I have metal dustbins standing outside the main enclosures so saves hacking back and forth to the feed shed. I have one with the sack of feed in, and another to put the feeder in away from the rats overnight. I secure the lids with bungees. It's certainly saving me time in the mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
                      I use plastic rubbish bins from Wilkinson. I've not had any rats or mice problems in the 18months I've used them. I paid £6.99 but think they might have gone up to £7.99 now.
                      Me too

(plus a bit of padding 'cos the message is too short)
                      Urban Escape Blog

Comment

I also use thick plastic dustbins. They seem to do the trick.

Comment

Galvanised for me now, after two (not cheap) plastic bins were bitten through - that was false economy buying those, should have bitten the bullet and got a metal bin first time. Ah well, we live and learn!

The Ikea bins sound great, I had to pay £16 for mine !
                          Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

are the 16l bins big enough to hold a full 25kgs?
                            Last edited by RedThorn; 23-09-2009, 04:39 PM.
                            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I used a plastic rubbish bin, I found that mice gnawed a hole in the lid and I stopped using it when a very well fed mouse jumped out of the scrunched down feed bag.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X