Feeling down, and worried

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling down, and worried

Hello all, I've been absent from the Vine for too long, but I'm back now!
    However, sadly my first post isn't good - I've now lost two of my girls in just over a week, and am now really worrying about the two remaining. Some of you may remember a post I made back in July, about two new ex free range farm cast offs, that I got on Freecycle. Well, I lost one of them, Atilla, just over a week ago - she went down hill really fast. She was just standing by the run, all puffed up, with her eyes closed, and in the time it took me to do a clean out of the house, she was visibly worse. After a brief perk up later on in the evening, she died in the night.

And then two days ago I noticed that one of our original three, Dusty, wasn't hurtling out of the house in the morning as she normally did (she often stood on my feet in her haste to be the first out on slug patrol!), although she did come out a couple of minutes later, and seemed okay if not as lively as usual. The following morning, she didn't come out, and when I looked in she was standing in the nestbox with her head in the corner. I brought her out, and when I put her down she pecked around, although again in a more sedate fashion. But when I went to put them away last night, she was in the coup but not crouched down roosting like the other two, but standing with her head down again. I wasn't able to keep an eye on her today for various reasons, and found her dead in the nestbox this eve.

Now I feel like a really bad chicken keeper, and am paranoid I'm going to lose my other two. Any ideas on what could have caused these deaths? Neither hen had a cold, and Dusty didn't do the puffed up thing with her eyes closed. I did notice her vent was constantly 'pulsing', but all the hens are off lay at the moment as they are moulting, so I don't think she was trying to pass an egg. I wasn't able to clean out the house tonight as it got too dark, but I did replace the paper and shavings in the nest box and will give the whole eglu a thorough clean and disinfect tomorrow. I'd like to move the enclosure, but as the inlaws are down for the day, I won't be able to. Anything else you think I should do? I feel so dispirited and sad, poor old Dusty. Her 'hospital' box was waiting for me when I got in, and no hen to go in it...

Bah. Sorry about the ramble, but all ideas gratefully recieved. Thanks for listening!
    Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Oh no, that's so sad Pip. The other Roosters will be able to give you lots of advice, but I can give you ((((((hugs)))))) until then.

Chin up hun, I'm sure the others will be fine. The two passing away so close together was probably just coincidental.

Jules
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Aww pips so sorry you have lost two of your featehred friends. Like Jules said it may just be coincidental, the temperature has started to drop of a night time and these things happen.

There are a few things to assertain first such as age - how old were they? also parasites, when were they last wormed, sprayed for mite lice etc. The daytime temp is still high so parasites are still very much present and they really can lower a bird down and then when the temp drops in the evening they can't cope.

with the absence of any other symptoms other that off colour and puffed up there is not much further advice I can offer. Just give the coop a really good clean, move it if you can (get the inlaws to help!) and make sure all birds are up to date on worming and mite treatment.

i will say though just because you have lost 2 does not necessarily mean you will lose the others
      My Blog
      http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

I lost my youngest and my oldest on one cold damp night but up to now all the others seem fine!
        Hybrid hens have a short shelf life and sometimes just pop there clogs for no apparent reason.
        I did everything I could for mine and I know you did likewise for yours so no need whatsoever to reproach yourself.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Firstly {{{{{x}}}},secondly,don't beat yourself up about it...they're obviously well loved & looked after chooks or you probably wouldn't be so upset!xSo many of us have missed things with our girls,because we didn't know what we were looking for...not because we don't care or are bad chook keepers!
          We almost lost one to mites & then a while later...after we thought we'd eradicated them lost another....I felt(& still do)totally crap about it,but looking back,we'd done all we thought humanly possible at the time & were confident the problem was no more.....which leads me to my thirdly!Is there any chance of mites in your coop?It seems it's been a really bad year for them...not sure how much catching up you've had time for but there's a whole thread about them at the top of Rule The Roost.
          Don't know what else to suggest but please stop being down on yourself & hope you can find the reasons for losing them & pop your mind at ease about the others!xxx
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

My initial thoughts are that they have picked up a virus/infection of some sort - two in a week suggests that others may be infected too, but are not showing symptoms yet. Don't know how many you have, but if not loads, I would suggest going into the hen house after dark with a powerful torch and a helper and picking up each bird one by one and feeling them for lumps, bumps and whether any are a little light. Listen to their breathing too. Also check for parasites. Why I suggest doing it at night is they are easy to pick off the roost and quiet then, rather than stressing them by chasing them round the run in the day, unless you have chooks so tame you can pick up easily in the day without a problem.

If all are ok then perhaps the two that died were just a little weak (or old?) and rather more susceptible getting something.

And don't feel you are a bad chicken keeper, it can happen to anyone. Chooks are very good at hiding symptoms till they are pretty ill.

Comment

Hi there- and welcome back- you were missed.
              Sorry about the run of bad luck.
              No one would even consider you're a poor mum - I'd be just as confused as you are as what has happened.
              I think we're all learning together- with lots of support from the 'Wise Ones'
              Fingers crossed the others are OK x
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

So sorry to hear your sad news. {{{{{{big hug}}}}}.
                My ex-batts have taken the moult very badly and in fact one died about 2 weeks ago. Some of mine died earleir in the year and I was getting really paranoid but (I'm assuming yours are all rescue/ex-batt/ex-commercial layers) realistically they are usually only with us a fairly short time and there's little we can do to prolong their lives after the bad start they had. Just love and care for them for as long as they stay with you.

Comment

Hi Pipscariad, sorry to read about your girls. Sometimes it just happens you know so don't beat yourself up too much. Hope the others are okay and hugs to you and the family. xx

On a brighter note, hasn't it been a lovely couple of weeks (pity this morning has spoiled it a bit)?
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone. The two remaining hens look okay this morning, thankfully, although it's early days yet. House has had a good scrub out, and I'll move the whole enclosure tomorrow (hope it's stopped raining by then!). Just ordered some Flubenvet and red mite powder on t'internet, so will dose them up. Don't think I have a mite problem, but I could be wrong...

Fingers crossed, just a waiting game now.

Comment

Glad to see you back, but what a sad story. I don't think for a minute you are a bad chicken keeper. Sometimes they just die. We all do. (Not all at once though, I hope!) I know you'll keep a sharp eye on the others now. Maybe you can spot something early. Or maybe, even better, it won't happen.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Glad you are back with us chuck. So sorry to hear your news. Being a newbie to all things feathered, I cant offer any advice except a big HUG and I know that other grapes will be able to help.
                        Love Bernie x
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

So sorry to hear about your girls- all very upsetting and worrying for you but I'm sure it was nothing you've done or didn't do. Like previous members I''m new to this lark and have no experience of chook illnesses (yet- and I'm sure it will happen!) I haven't gone down the ex-batt route for this reason. I'd worry too much and don't have the know how for all these things that can go wrong.Big hugs and best wishes and don't beat yourself upxxxxx
                          Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

I think that when we're talking about pet illnesses and deaths we are inclined to blame ourselves for what we did and didn't do, and to castigate ourselves for all of mistakes we made due to inexperience, tiredness or issues.

I hope you're feeling less despondent and despressed now and that "the kindness of strangers" has helped you.
                            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Your lovely replies have made me remember why I like the Vine so much - thank you! All well this morning - I stood and watched my two remaining hens for a good while, and had a close look at them, nothing seemed amiss, so let's hope all will be well. They'll be some of the most scrutinised hens around for a good bit now!

I'll feel happier once my worming and mite stuff has arrived and is underway, then I'll know that I'm doing everything I can for them. I'll keep you posted!

x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X