Newby question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby question

Hi all in poultry land just been given the ok to keep some chickens by the better half (Yipeeeeeee) just a quick question how should you give the grit they need, do you just put it in a bowl/feeder thing or scatter it around their pen
    Cheers
    Phattaff
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight
    It's the size of fight in the dog

If your hens are free range then they will scratch all teh grit they require and should never really need extra also if buy a formulted feed it should be all in and not required.

However if you are worried about their intake you can put a seperate bowl of grit in or just toss a handfull into the run a couple of times a month to give them something to scratch at if you want. We rarely give it as they get all they need from the diet and naturally
    Last edited by Bramble-Poultry; 23-09-2009, 12:30 PM.
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

I always have a bowl of grit for them to peck at if they fancy it.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

It largely depends upon your own preference. You can buy special (expensive) grit hoppers, but I make them out of a 2 litre milk carton, a hole cut at the front for the hens to take it from and the handle at the back tied to the mesh of the run. (mine are kept on an allotment though, so the aesthetics aren't important) I occasionally scatter a bit too, just to remind them that it's there, but mostly they ignore it as they have a very large run and free range for much of the day.
        Last edited by bluemoon; 23-09-2009, 12:32 PM.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Mine is in a plastic pot in the run in case they fancy a bit, they normally ignore it too. I think a 1kg bag will last me 2 years?

Comment

Cheers all
            Just another quick one (sorry but i really am a newby to chickens)
            i'm going to set up a run that will be about 2.5m x 2.5m (fully enclosed cox of mr fox round here) and am looking to get around 4 chickens (black rock, road island red mrs pepperpot etc size birds) will this be big enough for them as their main run, what with myself and the mrs both working and it's starting to get dark by the time we get home now (will let them into the garden when we can keep an eye on them).
            I have also seen a coop at a reasonable price which looks nice but it says it for upto 8 birds (large) will this be to big for them to keep warm???
            Ok so it wern't such a quick one but i would like to get this right befor i start flashing the cash so to speak.
            All the best Phattaff
            It's not the size of the dog in the fight
            It's the size of fight in the dog

Comment

Just replied on your other thread Phattaff
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...