Inbreeding....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inbreeding....

So how much inbreeding should you allow?
    I know inbreeding can cause genetic problems, but how much should you allow?

My 2 'brothers' are from different mothers and probably different fathers.
    They've had babies with their half sisters ( or not even related gals)
    BUT- I now have 4 gals which their fathers are showing an interest in.

So......would you hatch an egg ( accidentally collected) where the father could possibly also be the grandpa? ( can't tell which chook has laid which egg)

My idea is to get my Marans in November so any future chicks are hatched from chocolate coloured eggs and therefore it's guarenteed the parents aren't related.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Oh, thank God

I thought you meant people when I started to read this
    Last edited by scarey55; 13-10-2009, 01:21 PM.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Aww...bless...you're brill Scarey!!!!

Comment

I'm sure my friend,who's dad used to breed parrots(I think),said it was preferable if inbreeding was going to be allowed that you selected father/daughter eggs,but not mother/son.
        Really don't know how accurate or desirable this is,nor indeed if it can be applied to chooks?
        Sorry...I'll be off on the school run!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
          Oh, thank God

I thought you meant people when I started to read this
          You're not the only one!
          Once the mounting horror reached a critical level I looked further down the post and saw the words "hatch an egg"... there was a definite sigh of relief.

I do wish people wouldn't talk about animals like they are people! It may seem a bit cute but mainly it's a bit potty and leads to some VERY strange things like the OP sounded.
          (Granted, it probably would have been a bit more obvious if I'd come to the post from the main forum and not the New Posts page.)

Comment

It's not the actual in-breeding which causes defects, but any defects the birds may have (and they may not be apparent in the first few generations) will be enhanced and passed on until they come out in almost every bird.
            Unless you plan to show your poultry or there is a bad and obvious defect I shouldn't worry about it, the chickens won't!!

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
              You're not the only one!
              Once the mounting horror reached a critical level I looked further down the post and saw the words "hatch an egg"... there was a definite sigh of relief.

I do wish people wouldn't talk about animals like they are people! It may seem a bit cute but mainly it's a bit potty and leads to some VERY strange things like the OP sounded.
              (Granted, it probably would have been a bit more obvious if I'd come to the post from the main forum and not the New Posts page.)
              The fact it's in Rule The Roost would be a dead give away!!!
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
                and leads to some VERY strange things like the OP sounded.
                You calling me strange????....I'll have you know I'm quite 'normal' for Manchester!!!

Comment

Haha!
                  POST! Not POSTER!
                  Gotta love the unintended meanings brought in with abbreviations in a form of writing that's usually too quick for its own good!

EDIT
                  I forgot to ask, is "normal for Manchester" a bit of self deprecation?
                  If not, normal around here is nothing to be proud of!

andi&di
                  It really would have been a dead give away. Unfortunately I saw the thread title and the mouseover preview in the New Posts part of the forum, I didn't even look to see what section it was in before clicking. Had I been browsing normally I probably wouldn't even have seen the thread as I don't have any chooks so don't go in RTR at all!
                  Oh what fun
                  Last edited by organic; 13-10-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I try not to hatch eggs from closely related birds. There's always the odd "accident" though. When my bantam hens were all loose earlier in the year it was pretty much a free for all as I wasn't planning raising any more bantams this year. However, we had two or three who sat away and hatched their chicks in the undergrowth. Given some hens were mating with their father and/or brother, we only had one suspect chick. As he grew, it became apparent he had a twisted spine, and grew in a lop-sided way. When the deformity appeared to be causing him problems, we culled him, but until then he had been running around with all the others quite happily.

I have no idea if this deformity was as a result of inbreeding, or just an incubation blip. I have not had any others turn up with this, either before or since.

Comment

And I thought it was only in the Fens we had those problems... lol

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                        And I thought it was only in the Fens we had those problems... lol
                        Ha! ...NFN on medical notes??? ( and yup- my Grannies side came from Norfolk!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          ( and yup- my Grannies side came from Norfolk!
                          Ah now that puts a whole new outlook on the inbreeding problem..lol

Only kidding, please dont hit me Nicos..
                          When all the world is moving too fast, sit in the garden and watch it whizz past... The good life..

Comment

my husbands great grandparents were first cousins and hes not normal.....

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                              my husbands great grandparents were first cousins and hes not normal.....
                              Not even for Norfolk?
                              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X