Roosting outside?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosting outside?

Was a bit late getting to the allotment tonight so made a few observations.

First of all, LS is roosting where she's supposed to on roosting bar in new coop.
    Other two Minorca's (with one possibly a cockerel) are squeezing into a nesting box huddled up together. Poor LS is the only one laying so she has to go into a shitty nest box to lay her egg the next morning!

The ones that worry me the most though are my three big lads (cockerels) huddled together on a roosting bar...outside, and two of my 15 X ISA browns roosting on a branch high in the uncovered section of the run.

I was wondering if the outside roosters will have the sense to go indoors when it gets cold.................as we're forecast a frost tonight!
    Last edited by Snadger; 16-10-2009, 07:25 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

I suspect if they felt it cold they would go indoors Snadger. I went out one very chilly morning earlier this year (I think it was the coldest night we had) and found that the pophole had been left open all night - hens were fine and we only had 4 at the time.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Firstly chuck the Minorcas out of the nest box. It's a bad habit and can be difficult to break but very necessary if you don't want to be cleaning out a nest box each day. If it's possible to block it off overnight then do so, unless the LS is a particularly early layer and will need to use it before you get to them in the morning.

Secondly, is this a recent habit of the other birds, roosting outside, or do they do it regularly? Any chance of red mite in the house, driving them outside? I'm sure if it's really cold and wet they will make it back inside, but worth making double sure they are not trying to avoid being bitten in the night.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
        Firstly chuck the Minorcas out of the nest box. It's a bad habit and can be difficult to break but very necessary if you don't want to be cleaning out a nest box each day. If it's possible to block it off overnight then do so, unless the LS is a particularly early layer and will need to use it before you get to them in the morning.

Secondly, is this a recent habit of the other birds, roosting outside, or do they do it regularly? Any chance of red mite in the house, driving them outside? I'm sure if it's really cold and wet they will make it back inside, but worth making double sure they are not trying to avoid being bitten in the night.
        I've had the nest boxes blocked off to try and get them to use the roosting bars but LS has just come back into lay again and had to lay on the coop floor. Not sure whether these Spanish birds (Minorcas) were originally ground dwellers?
        The roosters have always roosted outside and it's probably my fault cos I put a roof over there roosting bar. They are about 5 foot off the ground, have a lot of white on them and stand out like a sore thumb to any predator mooching around.
        The two ISA's have just started roosting outside but the other 13 are in there normal place indoors!
        I don't think I've got any mite problems, they all seem healthy and are full feathered, They do go inside to eat there pellets.
        I could take the external roosting bar down but they love to sit on it night and day!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Not sure how cold it is at night up there but I'm still leaving the pop holes open and when I check them all at night they feel lovely and warm. One of mine has taken up trying to sleep in the nest box and when I shoo her off she grumbles a lot but moves and doesn't return to it. (Until the next night that is, when we have to go through the shooing again)

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
            Not sure how cold it is at night up there but I'm still leaving the pop holes open and when I check them all at night they feel lovely and warm. One of mine has taken up trying to sleep in the nest box and when I shoo her off she grumbles a lot but moves and doesn't return to it. (Until the next night that is, when we have to go through the shooing again)
            Might have a go at shooing tomorrow evening if I'm at the allotment late!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wish I could stay as warm as the chooks by winding my neck in and tucking my beak under my oxters
              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Don't know much about Mediterranean breeds but I would think the Minorca, being long legged and flighty would naturally be a tree dweller. It's the big heavy breeds that would choose the ground.

There's not much you can do with the others except post them into the house each night and hope they get the message eventually.

I have some totally mad bantam growers at the moment (all cocks) who insist on trying to sleep in the run. They wouldn't sleep in their original coop as chicks - I had to post each and everyone through the pop each night - and even though they are bigger and have now been transferred to a walk in brick building with attached pen they still do it. I've taken to giving them their evening corn inside the house and then shutting them in so they can't get out again. I can't wait till they are big enough to put in the pot, I'm getting fed up with them!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X