What would you buy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you buy?

As our flock is down to 4 & looks a little thin on the ground we are thinking of getting a couple more. BHWT seems fully booked for the next few month's so we are going to a place that sells various hybrids. They have Amber Stars, Black Rocks, Speckeldy's & more. We just want pet's that lay eggs now & again. What would you folk's recommend assuming all the breeds/types are in equal condition.

There are plenty of other battery hen rehoming centres, dependant of where you are in the country, there is one in Cannock if you are in the Midlands and there is one in North London who covers nationwide and in Norfolk there is Little hen rescue. Of course there could be local rehoming centres to you.

I would say that all of those breeds are equal and it will come down to personal preference when you are stood there looking at them - one will just take your eye and that will be that - your new pet chicken!!

Whatever you choose - piccies are an essential part of the grapevine!!!
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

My first ex-batts were from BHWT and the second from LHR. They transport the hens to places around the country. I love my little brown hens and can't recommend them enough. However I really think you need a Welsummers cockerel to add to your flock and I just happen to have 3 going spare!

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
        My first ex-batts were from BHWT and the second from LHR. They transport the hens to places around the country. I love my little brown hens and can't recommend them enough. However I really think you need a Welsummers cockerel to add to your flock and I just happen to have 3 going spare!
        I didn't know you could get chickens from LHR (London Heath Row)?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          I didn't know you could get chickens from LHR (London Heath Row)?
          Yep. I even leave my landing light on for them.

Comment

hahahaha - I don't have a landing light so how did mine get here!!!!
            My Blog

Comment

They will have parachuted in when the airyplane flew over their coop of course
              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Doh! why didn't I think of that? - of course it obvious!
                My Blog

Comment

From that selection I'd go for the Black Rocks. That's what I fancied initially - just couldn't get them around here. They are very hardy and excellent layers.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Iv got black rock X and they are so pretty and are getting really tame go for them

Comment

I'm quite taken with b/rocks myself there's a flock of them up the road & they look lovely.
                      Never see the owner knocking about with them or I'd ask if they were selling any. Feel cheeky knocking on the door & asking. My lady wife likes the blue rangers to match our blue dogs. My Daughter who the hens really belong to (I just seem to get the mucky side of thing's) want's a mix. We are going up tomorrow hopefully suppose we will have to see what they have available.

Comment

I've got a mixed flock which includes a Black Rock and an Amber, and apart from my Warrens (my favourites) they are the best layers and the easiest to handle. The Amber started laying daily in February 2008 and didn't stop until September this year when she moulted and stopped laying for 3 weeks and restarted doing about 4 a week. The Black Rock started in September 2008 and has laid daily since. Amber can be easily picked up in one hand! Enjoy your shopping!

Comment

Originally posted by shadegrow View Post
                          I'm quite taken with b/rocks myself there's a flock of them up the road & they look lovely.
                          Never see the owner knocking about with them or I'd ask if they were selling any. Feel cheeky knocking on the door & asking.
                          Pop a note through the owners door smarming about how lovely the chooks are and ask where s/he bought them as you'd like to get some.
                          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

We bought a black rock & a blue ranger pol plus 2 "ex-batts" (see ex-batt advert thread). Been busy keeping them separated the pol's are extremely flighty. The ex-batt girls desperately want to join the gang, but of course our girls are intent on murder. Had to launch a rescue operation for them all this morning due to a flooded garden. Maybe they will bond in adversity.

Comment

For sheer beauty I would plump for Orpingtons, though they haven't a deal of character. Black Rocks are friendly to the point of tripping you up as you walk. Indian Game, I find, are beautiful and friendly and, if you get the right strain, lay pretty well too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X