Chippings for runs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chippings for runs

I'm confused! I thought you couldn't use garden bark chippings in runs for your girls as they could harbour fungus.
    I'm currently buying sacks of hardwood chippings to put down (and in bags fulls, wot with all the rain we've had). Ain't cheap!
    I've seen an advert on a website for what look like normal garden bark chippings which they say can be used.................
    Can anyone clarify?
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

I wouldn't risk it personally. Bark chippings can harbour mould spores, and these aren't good for your chooks respiratory pipes
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I use the wood chippings (supplied free to our allotment site) produced by tree surgeons. They contain bark and the pile does grow some sort of mushrooms if left undisturbed on the site but have had no problem with respiratory illness so far with the chooks and I've been using it 5 years. I do however dig the lot out and replace with fresh every so often when it starts to compost down.
      I think the problem is with the decorative bark but not sure why. I'm sure there has been lengthy discussion about this previously if you do a forum search.

Comment

Personally we do not recommend bark chips for the reason Maureen says above.

Also to be fair its an expensive way to line the runs as it will still need changing every couple of weeks as they will still paddle it into the ground, scratch it around and generally ruin it for you. Straw is by far the cheapest - composting it however can be a little difficult. We have started to cover our runs just to keep them a little dryer and we have decking between the runs to stop the muddy paths, we generally straw the runs, but being covered we can get a couple of weeks out of the run not just one!
        My Blog
        http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Large amount of bark chippings are a no-no because of the spores. If you are looking to keep your run fairly bogfree and relatively accessible then maybe try the heavy rubber mats you can get. Not in all the run but just where you need to go. I paid about £14 for 1m squared at B & Q. It works for me

Comment

Do they not get treacherously slippy Moola?We've got several old lorry mats that we thought of using but our experience of them as a temporary path last year...just the rain & a little mud...has put us off using them.Can only imagine that rain combined with chook poop etc could only end in a rather unpleasant slip!?...I'll happily stand to be corrected as it will save us buying an alternative!
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

If your run is roofed, or at least the sides are high, you could put branches/logs in for the birds to perch on. At least then it gets them off the ground. It doesn't help with surface covering I know, but the important thing is that the birds aren't paddling around in the mud/poo all the time. I would go with Bramble's suggestion of straw as a cheap floor covering.

Comment

my run has a roof, but I'm thinking of covering it with some scaffolding sheeting i've acquired to try & keep the worst of, I;ve also done as Richmond suggests and put some logs and old plastic pallets in to keep them off the mud/poo. The top of the run where the shed is on paving slabs and is quite a large area but of course they don't want to use that bit
                The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Logs tyres pallets and pallet tops and mine still perch on top of the spare ark! Must be waiting for Noah and the flood!

Comment

I was using softwod chippings over flagstones - then putting them on the paths. Until B&Q discontinued them, that is.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If you have a lot of mud, then straw (and most other organic additives) will simply mean textured mud. Improve drainage first (anything from making sure that rain doesn't get in there, to pallets over the surface) THEN straw is good!
                      Less wetness is more use than just mopping up the wetness with 'bedding'.
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I've been using bark chippings since i've had my girls in January....whoops! Wasn't aware of potential issues. They are all fit and well but i guess i need to re-look at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                          If you have a lot of mud, then straw (and most other organic additives) will simply mean textured mud. Improve drainage first (anything from making sure that rain doesn't get in there, to pallets over the surface) THEN straw is good!
                          Less wetness is more use than just mopping up the wetness with 'bedding'.
                          And didn't we discover that the hard way last year!:eek;
                          Trying to clean outtrodden in straw/mud & poop is not an easy job!
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post
                            We have started to cover our runs just to keep them a little dryer and we have decking between the runs to stop the muddy paths, we generally straw the runs, but being covered we can get a couple of weeks out of the run not just one!
                            We have a 8 by 8 run for the 4 chucks, my other half fitted some taupaulin but how do your stop this from bellowing under the water, I'm sure there is a better way...

the run is fairly portable, so putting a run on it would mean it being completely static

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. The original run is quite small, but Ive been using hardwood chippings and straw. The girls now have the use of the greenhouse. The run itself IS covered, but we've had so much rain!. We are due to attach an additional outdoor run (partially covered).
                              The ground is mainly mushroom compost with solid builders carp underneath, which I successfully grew veg on in my first year, believe it or not!
                              Not ideal I now know for chooks. Think I'll get some kind of small stones to mix in with the top ground, then use straw - I've got plenty!
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X