Ex Batt Advert!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex Batt Advert!!

Just got back from our corn merchant Blue Sky in Golborne. There is an advert up for Ex-Batts due for slaughter this month at £2 each. We were somewhat miffed as we bought two on Thurs. for £5 each. Foolishly I didn't take the phone number but I'm sure Blue Sky will give it to anyone who phones them.

I've never kept ex-batts and don't know what the going rate is, but £5 sounds rather a lot. I'm sure I've seen ex-batts going for "donations" of £1.50 a bird before now. So £2 would be reasonable too.

Comment

We got 6 off BHWT & they recommended a £1 donation per bird. We gave a tenner for the 6 & have had lots of enjoyment since plus a few heartaches. We would have gone back to them but Lancashire branch seem to be fully booked for the next few months. We also wanted a couple of "bought in" pol's to see if they are any hardier than ex-batts & get a full laying life off them. The place we bought the pols from also have ex-batts on so we got a package so to speak........Won't do it again though lol.

Comment

We were asked for 50p donation for the girls we got last year from the BHWT and £1.50 this year from Little hen Rescue. £5 seems a bit steep for ex-battery hens.

Comment

I was told by my allotment neighbours that there's a sign at the end of a road leading to a local battery farm which reads "Yearlings, 50p each"

Quite depressing to note that the poor things have layed there hearts out for a year, only to be flogged of at 50p each!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We got ten and was told that £1 a bird is fine we gave £20 for the 10 birds....they was not well and we lost 6 of them when the other 4 were fit again we went back for some more...when asked how many we wanted I said 11 to it up to 15 hens as we have a big family...when I went to pay he wanted £55 for them.

You can buy pol birds for about £3 a bird I said he said well there a fiver mate...I gave him £20 and said that a donation is what the holder wants to pay not what you want to ask for.

£5 a bird is much to much for ex-bats...the fox got to them and we now only have 8 and its stayin like that for now!

Dave.

Comment

Hi

Just rescured 9 chickens from a free range farm, they were going be slaughtered

only cost me 50p a bird, so the chics are happy in my allotment now

the chics are already laying now only thing is findind the eggs

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
                We were asked for 50p donation for the girls we got last year from the BHWT and £1.50 this year from Little hen Rescue. £5 seems a bit steep for ex-battery hens.
                I've had 4 ex-batts today from our local Animal Rescue. They asked for a minimum donation of £1 each, so I gave her a tenner and a bag of wheat as she has all sorts there!
                They're cosily asleep now in their new home. Not too bald this time - just very thin. Surprisingly red combs too but still with those sad eyes.
                Squealed when being picked up but quiet when I was powdering them with louse powder. Flubenvet from tomorrow, and start with some decent food!

Comment

Bet they won't have those sad eyes for long Sue.

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
                    Bet they won't have those sad eyes for long Sue.
                    Straight out this morning and into the pellets! They're getting the hang of things very quickly! They do look very moth-eaten but I'm surprised they still have knickers and tails!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      I was told by my allotment neighbours that there's a sign at the end of a road leading to a local battery farm which reads "Yearlings, 50p each"

Quite depressing to note that the poor things have layed there hearts out for a year, only to be flogged of at 50p each!
                      yeah i bought 10 on sunday 50p each

Comment

we got four 1 year old ex free-range organic hens which from a rescue centre for £2 each. they were in excellent condition and treated us to 4 eggs on the first day. A similar farm that we used to buy eggs from were selling theirs for £1 a few years ago. And this is down south in Sussex and Surrey.
                        Last edited by italiastar; 11-11-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X