Trivial question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivial question

Hi, this is just a question of interest. Are chickens only native to the UK? I notice breeds such as Sussex, new Hampshire and I have old English game hens. And I thought rhode island reds and Indian game may have come about with the colonies. Thanks.

I doubt if any are indiginous to UK as they are descended from Jungle Fowl! Rhode Island Red and many others are developed in USA. Orpingtons, Sussex, Dorking etc were developed in UK but some came over with the Romans!There are lots of books about the breeds which will tell you where they were originally developed if you're really interested. Storeys Giude to Poultry Breeds is one.

Comment

Oh really. Thanks very much, I had it totally wrong. I will definately look into it further.

Comment

The chicken isn't native to Britain at all, as stated already.
        The latin name for the domestic chicken is Gallus domesticus, descended from the Red Junglefowl, Gallus gallus, from Southeast Asia
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't know what rock I've been under not to have heard about jungle fowl, I looked them up, quite stunning!

Comment

Ayers?
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Pretty big so that could explain it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X