Our very first egg...so excited:D

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our very first egg...so excited:D

One of my blue Orp banties has given me a pretty little brown egg weighing 38 grams (1 & 3/8 oz in old money).

I suspect it may have been Madge because she is quite pale today compared to Myrtle and Maude. Is that a reasonable assumption?

There was no singing, dancing or boasting, just this lovely egg left lying in the middle of the coop run I'll put in something that can be used as a nesting box in case she was only an exhibitionist by default.

I'll put a dish of oyster shell/grit in the coop so she doesn't become deficient in calcium.

I didn't expect eggs until next year so they're still on growers pellets ad-lib. Should I keep them all on growers until the others start laying or should I mix growers and layers until they're all laying?

They free-range 4-5 hours a day and get a big handful of corn mix when I tuck them in.

I'm so thrilled you would think I produced the egg myself
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Aaaaawww, good on her.

Switch to layers pronto as the nutrition is different for laying birds. Definitely have a nest box and perhaps put in a false 'egg' to show them where to go
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

well done Madge.....now she's done it there'll be no stopping her. Layers from now on
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I've been duffed up as I put the finishing touches to the nest box (a wee bit of corn mix and plenty of oyster shell).

I'm either being punished for nicking the lovely egg or somebody else has PMT. I am very bruised from piledriver pecking and biting with twist They all got double corn ration too!

I shall get some layers pellets tomorrow.

Comment

That first egg is magical isn't it It'll be the best egg you've ever tasted!
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Well done Madge! The pecking will be because you nicked the egg!

Comment

well done!
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Fantastic news!!!!!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well done Eco chic!! I think your chooks are classics, they certainly have attitude. Enjoy your 1st egg, poached, scrambled or a tiny omelette?

Comment

1st eggs are lovely, being only a few weeks since I got my own, now got too many to know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by Dashy View Post
                      Well done Eco chic!! I think your chooks are classics, they certainly have attitude. Enjoy your 1st egg, poached, scrambled or a tiny omelette?
                      It won't be poached 'cos I mess them up
                      Boiled or fried maybe. Decisions, decisions

I'm enjoying looking at it and touching it at the moment Sad, I know

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                        I'm enjoying looking at it and touching it at the moment Sad, I know
                        Not sad at all - an egg is a thing of such beauty, very tactile. I have had hens for years now but I still marvel at the beautiful eggs they lay.
                        http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

still waiting for my first egg you are so lucky.
                          my first will be fried in a malted granary sandwich.
                          can almost taste it already!
                          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I just think chickens are so clever! Sad aren't I?
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Well done my girls are all laying now took the third one a while to get going but she lays the biggest eggs, I to marvel everyday at how perfect they are and also wonder why anyone ever buys supermarket eggs. Well done

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X