Our very first egg...so excited:D

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
    still waiting for my first egg you are so lucky.
    my first will be fried in a malted granary sandwich.
    can almost taste it already!
    I'm still savouring it with my eyes at the moment. I just know it will be heavenly

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
    I just think chickens are so clever! Sad aren't I?
    Well I'm sad too, 'cos I totally agree with you

Originally posted by lottielady View Post
    Well done my girls are all laying now took the third one a while to get going but she lays the biggest eggs, I to marvel everyday at how perfect they are and also wonder why anyone ever buys supermarket eggs. Well done
    No more today. Madge has better colour in her face now. Maude and Myrtle are so red they look like they've been on the whisky all day
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      I just think chickens are so clever! Sad aren't I?
      I agree with you entirely.
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Egg no.2 was left in the shavings of the roosting area next to the nesting box.

It weighed in at 55grams (2oz) and is several shades paler than the first, but still very pretty. I may eat them tomorrow for brunch

Comment

My 3rd little egg today weighed in at 34g (1 1/4oz) so I think it was Maude's first lay and, tada, it was in the nest box

I was poo picking and tidying up and Maude kept coming in and re-arranging the nest box and shuffling down in it so I guess it was she. She moved out into the run a couple of times so I scattered some corn and oyster shell into the nest box just in case.

I just went to give them their evening corn mix and unusually it was Maude chivying me up. I had a feel around the nest box and found the cute little egg. She must have been desperate for me to praise her and thank her. Such a clever girl
          Last edited by Eco-Chic; 07-11-2009, 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling ~ nest NOT next, thrice:(

Comment

Wow! Good for you! I only got my first egg a week or so ago from my new lot of hens - have been waiting long enough :-)
            All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
            For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Well, Matthew, I got these girls early in September as 15/16 week old POL, but I really didn't expect eggs this side of Christmas, so I'm very pleased and proud.

Little egg number 4 weighed in today @ 37g (1 1/4oz), in the roosting area, just outside the nest box. Wondering if each of my girls has now laid her first lovely little egg

They're so quiet and shy about it. Absolutely no, look at me bok boking at all.

Comment

Lol! They'll soon tell you when they've got a double yolker on the way!! Waiting for my first double - I know they'll come!

Comment

Today I had two eggs! One this morning and another this afternoon, and both were laid in the nest box.

Such clever laydees.

Comment

Whoo hoo! Two eggs side by side in the nest box this morning. I shall be treating mes laydees to some mealy worms (wiggling ones if I can overcome my squeamishness)

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                      Whoo hoo! Two eggs side by side in the nest box this morning. I shall be treating mes laydees to some mealy worms (wiggling ones if I can overcome my squeamishness)
                      Try white fishing maggots for being squeamworthy!
                      Well done your girls

Comment

There was much mooching around and low key grumbling and mumbling early this morning, sitting in the nest box and getting out. I left them to it and when I checked before lunch there were two more lovely eggs (38g & 41g) in the nest box. They're doing me proud☺

Comment

Groundhog day! Another two weighing in at 38g and 41g (the biggie was very pretty brown with freckles) in the nest box. Wouldn't have heard grumblings and mumblings over the foul weather if I'd been home, but I was at a funeral. The first time I ever heard the phrase 'God's Tears'. Very apt, but understated, for the deluge which dumped on us methinks

Got back in time to let the poor little Prisoners of Zenda out for half an hour before the skies fell in again and darkness was upon us.
                          Last edited by Eco-Chic; 13-11-2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

I got my very first double yolker the other day!!

Expect them soon.....!!!

Comment

I let the girls into the garden this morning during a brief (exceedingly brief) interlude when the wind dropped, the sky blued and the sun shone. Minutes later the wind was up and it was raining hard enough to make your head bleed, but my girls, who are as clever and intelligent as they are beautiful, free ranged under the shelter of the Thryssiflora (that is most definitely not low and mound forming).

Maude was awol around 4pm and had retired to the nest box to squeeze me out a lovely egg weighing 39g.

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X