chickens off lay

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chickens off lay

I have 3 buff/maran cross chickens less than 2 years old which are presently in moult. They have not laid any eggs for around 2 weeks. While I expected a drop in production during moult I am puzzled why it is so long since they stopped layting. Is this normal or should I be looking for some other cause?

4 of mine are in moult and I havent had any egg's from any of them for about 4 weeks, spoke to the breeder and he said this is expected, told me to lay off any treats and up the protein.

Comment

Of course, now the light levels are dropping, hens will naturally reduce their egg production or even go off lay completely during the winter months. I don't think its anything sinister, but your girls might appreciate a tonic, something like 'Poultry Spice', or Verm-x 'Keep well'.

Comment

Hens do not lay while in moult. They need all their energy to regrow their feathers, they cannot be expected to produce eggs as well! With the decreasing daylight hours you should not expect them to return to lay before January, at the earliest.

You can keep feeding them the layers pellets as the protein level will help feather regrowth, but your girls will need a rest after a season laying and then losing their feathers (some say moulting can make a bird feel ill) so do not expect too much of them at this time of year.

Comment

Poultry Spice powder conditioner is recommended as a food supplement when your chooks are moulting or off colour

Sorry Becki, I didn't see your post before mine
          Last edited by Eco-Chic; 10-11-2009, 12:15 PM. Reason: A Pollygee to Becki
          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

this has saved me starting a thread thanks Yorkshire Sam

Comment

I got a shock when i looked in the run today and there was a pile of feathers! Thought a fox had paid a visit but after a head count realised my chooks had decided to have a sudden moult! Not many eggs just now and I always find it strange how as soon as the weather gets cold.........the chooks drop there feathers?
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Phew! You worried me then Snadger.

Yeah, it's crazy to get nekkid when it's so cold innit? I'll be looking forward (not) to their first moult next year.
                If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

signs of moulting

In N.Z. we're just heading into summer so I'm expecting my girls to moult soon. One of them hasn't been so keen on her mash this last few days, and hasn't laid an egg today. She's perky enough though. Is this a sign of
                  pre-moult?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwichick View Post
                    In N.Z. we're just heading into summer so I'm expecting my girls to moult soon. One of them hasn't been so keen on her mash this last few days, and hasn't laid an egg today. She's perky enough though. Is this a sign of
                    pre-moult?
                    Could be, try giving her something in her feed to give her a boost (like 'Poultry Spice' or 'Keep Well'), she may just be lacking some important nutrients. Its also really important to feed a good quality Layers mash or pellets year round, as these will contain the protein and nutrients needed to lay and get through the moult.

If you transfer your mash or pellets from a bag into a container for storage, don't be tempted to pour a new bag on top of the remnants of the old as the old stuff will deteriorate with time. So always finish a bag and then open a new one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X