Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your advice needed asap please!

Hi guys

I know that chickens get the odd colds, sneezing etc, but just been out again to check on them. 1 if not 2 (I think) are really quite wheezy, it was really loud earlier from 1 of them. Any suggestions?

Oh no, is there no one online to help me?

Comment

I'm here, but I'm no expert I'm afraid! However, when my girls had sniffles a while ago, I put Citrocidal (sp?) in their drinking water and it cleared up the sniffles in a few days. It's grapefruit seed extract and is apparently a natural antibiotic - I'd seen it recommended on the Omlet website, although I bought it from my local healthfood shop a good deal cheaper than it is on their site.

I'm sure there's a thread on this sort of thing from a while ago, as I know I've mentioned this stuff before - it might be worth a search, in the absence of other replies.

Good luck with your girls, hope they perk up very soon. They can be a worry, can't they!
      Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

if its the sniffles and coughs then it is usually caused by the birds themselves getting damp and unable to dry off in time (with the amount of rain we have had that is entirely possible), or it could be from damp litter or even sleeping on damp litter

As Pip says above the citrocidal is alledged to be a natural antibiotic, but you will also find that respite or ACV in the water will also help.

If teh birds are really hunched up with it, get them inside and under a heat lamp to warm them up. If drenched, even use a hairdyer on them to get them warm ASAP.

The only other thing that springs to mind is gapeworm, but i cant see that happening in such a short time and for someone who regularily worms their birds.

Keep us posted on how you get on
        My Blog
        http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

I don't know how many chickens you have altogether, but if just 2 are affected I would isolate them, in case it is something more than just a cold. Colds should clear up in 3 -4 days, but if this is not the case, and if more hens go down with the same symptoms, you may want to get them checked out for a more serious respiratory problem.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, maybe me just having a mad moment of panic! They seem fine tonight, a bit sniffly I think. It has been quite wet, hen house is bone dry though, run not too bad although have put in a pallet for them to get out of the damp. Thanks guys! x

Comment

Changed my mind, I came home tonight and heard a noise almost like a goose sort of noise, if you know what I mean. Spent about 1 hour checking them out etc and no problems. Just heard the same noise and we have both been out to check and they seem fine. Am I going mad? It is coming from the bottom of the garden where they are??????

Comment

Is it your cockerel starting to crow?
                Occasionally one of my girls coughs when she's eating corn - could it be anything like that?
                Last edited by Suechooks; 18-11-2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

You know what SueChooks, I thought it was coming from the bantams tonight. Would he be doing this though at this time of night? Must admit, it was worse when I got home as it always is, they hear the back door open and then they make themselves heard. No idea, but it's driving me mad!
                  Last edited by MrsC; 18-11-2009, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Well my lads made noises throughout the night.
                    When there were the 2 cocks and 5 young laddies, they certainly were getting noisy.
                    And yup- the first crows sound like they need a darned good suck on a Strepsil...could it be a laddie ????
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If there's any lights I suppose he might do. I have no experience with cockerels but teenagers do funny things () so if no one is wheezy or snotty I'd guess that might be it.
                      Get some Respite and put it in their water for a few days (or a couple of crushed garlic cloves) just in case if you're worried. I have a box full of stuff "just in case" and it stops me from panicking!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Well my lads made noises throughout the night.
                        When there were the 2 cocks and 5 young laddies, they certainly were getting noisy.
                        And yup- the first crows sound like they need a darned good suck on a Strepsil...could it be a laddie ????
                        Hi Nicos, he's a boy! I've known this for a few weeks and not allowed myself to get attached, but tonight he was eating corn from my hand

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                          If there's any lights I suppose he might do. I have no experience with cockerels but teenagers do funny things () so if no one is wheezy or snotty I'd guess that might be it.
                          Get some Respite and put it in their water for a few days (or a couple of crushed garlic cloves) just in case if you're worried. I have a box full of stuff "just in case" and it stops me from panicking!!!
                          Hi Sue, I always put garlic in their feed once or twice a week. Thanks for your advice and have a ready made box of medicinal goodies. Even Mr C is out there checking them and he always threatens to put them in the oven, he wouldn't really though

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                            Hi Nicos, he's a boy! I've known this for a few weeks and not allowed myself to get attached, but tonight he was eating corn from my hand
                            It doesn't matter how hard you try, if they live in your garden it's impossible not to get attached. I never knew cockerels might be noisy at night though.

Comment

we have a silkie cockerel in one of our pens, the nearest to the house. He only seems to crow at night! not a noise out of him all day, and yet soon as its evening, around 7pm he starts crowing. goes on until midnight some nights, infact, if its a clear night he has been known to crow at 3am!

So the kids have nicknamed him. (stick with me on this one)

If a Jungle Fowl is Gallus Gallus, a normal chicken is Gallus Domesticus then this nocturnal one is Gallus Nosferatu - the vampire chicken!

So "Nossie" is a keeper, even just for his novelty! His crow is awful, sounds like a violin practice, but he's ever so loveley!
                              My Blog
                              http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X