No announcement yet.

Do chooks moult more as they get older?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do chooks moult more as they get older?

Some of my chooks will be about 4 years old now and at present look like the oven ready version you usually get as battery hens!

They've just neck moulted up til now each year but this year they seem as if they are going for a full (as in every feather) moult.

Anybody seeing them would think I was badly treating them............... so was wondering how long before they start feathering up again?

Anyway, hows this evolution thing work.............as soon as we had a bit of a frost, they dropped there feathers...........not the brightest way to perpetuate the species methinks!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

evolution, intelligence and chickens, three words not normally associated with each other!

my ex-batts are certainly throwing out feathers like no tomorrow. Perhaps they are anticipating a really cold winter?
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

My 4 new ex-batts are moulting too Jennie. I keep finding bundles of feathers all over the run and hut. They did look ok when they arrived but...........! ......and what's more they've stopped laying so I guess it's a proper hormonal job!

Comment

Hormonal - you shoudl see Jennie knitting little jumpers for them - if i didnt know what she was doing i would panic at the amount of knitting thinking we might have a few additions of our own!!!
        My Blog
        http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Mrs Hen looks so tatty Im ashamed and the geese are doing it too. Dont know about rain, my barn looks like its snowing.
          If I knitted jumpers for mine they'd pack up and leave en mass. Not one of my better skills

Wonder if they used to fly south for winter once over? Or maybe paddled in Shadegrows ark.lol
          Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Originally posted by its hilly View Post

.................Wonder if they used to fly south for winter once over?.............
            What...............without feathers!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

do you use anything for them whilst they are molting?

Comment

Originally posted by woody2k4 View Post
                do you use anything for them whilst they are molting?
                Some sort of tonic is good - Poultry Spice or Battles or similar.

Comment

I've been using the new stuff by netext, its quite good.

Is ACV any good during the molt?
                  Last edited by SarzWix; 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM. Reason: Removal of link

Comment

I give mine ACV every day as it's good for getting rid of internal parasites. I give it to the dogs too for the same reason, plus it is supposed to help prevent build up of tartar but I would have needed to start that when they were pups.
                    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X