Oh no, the crowing has started!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr darcy View Post
    i feel really sorry for you, I'd feel the same way...what about children's farms? there must be somewhere...bon courage
    I've tried the children's farms and garden centres that have poultry. Adverts in papers and poultry magazines. I accept their fate now but I don't have to like it. I'm a wimp. Cried when the cat had kittens and they had to leave home. Cry everytime we go to Spain and I end up feeding a dog and then have to re-home it. Cry when my chooks are ill or have to be put to sleep. 'Cry me a River' is my song. Strangely only with animals though. My OH says I'm as hard as nails until it comes to animals.
    All suggestions are welcome but I think I've tried everything. Don't you just know though that someone will call to re-home one as soon as they have gone.

Comment

I don't know what to say to you. Are you vegetarian? If so eating the cockerels is out, obviously. I love animals too and cried my heart out when our favourite hen had to be culled - however I am breeding chickens and realise 50% will be male, therefore I intend to go on a course to show me how to despatch and prepare their meat effectively, which to me feels right. I know they have had a good life, I will be cutting down on packaging and all that global warming stuff, so I rationalise that I am doing the right thing. Also, we might get to taste real chicken for once!

Comment

No not veggie. In fact I've tried most things. Have to eat all sorts when in Spain as my Catalan neighbour cooks me snails etc. Don't want to offend her! Just the thought of eating one of my boys is like eating the cat. Don't worry though they will get eaten, just not by me.

Comment

I too go off in floods when anyone elses chooks are sick so can sympathise! I really DO feel for you and just wish I could take at least one off you!

Comment

Oh dear a real shame for you, maybe someone will crop up..
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Dont know if it works but..I was told that a roo has to stretch his neck up to crow (well ok I know that bits true) so if you put the perch close enough to the roof, or sling a suspended roof over them so they cant reach up they wont crow.
              Only time Ive tried this was a poorly roo in a box with a low lid. He didnt crow while in it, or onlt a strangled quiet one, but that could just be because he was ill anyway.
              You have my sympathy, they do sneak under your skin dont they!
              Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Trevor started crowing this morning! He's a Polish Bantam, not sure how noisy they get, I could cope with it today, any suggestions anyone? Frias I know how you feel

Comment

Bantams are higher pitched and more shrill than large fowl. Generally the smaller the bird, the higher pitched the crow. I have 20 + cocks all crowing for England but fortunately all housed well away from the house so cannot generally hear them until I let them out (except if I get up in the night can hear one or two from the bathroom crowing at 3 or 4 am). They are all very distinctive too. I can pretty much tell each and every bird apart as all the crows are different. My large Light Sussex cock sounds like the Hound of the Baskervilles - a really long, deep baying sound. Some of the bantams just let out a sort of shriek, and one of my Araucana crosses has always had a real whoo hoo sound. Quite a chorus really. Just as well I don't have any neighbours!!

Comment

My cockerels go into boxes at night and are let out after 7. 30 a.m. No-one complains as they only crow once or twice then but when left to their own devices were starting at 5a.m. or before!! They go into their boxes quite happily, one even waiting for me at dusk.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                      They are all very distinctive too. I can pretty much tell each and every bird apart as all the crows are different.
                      Ha!...I can tell my 2 lads crows apart....but 20????..flipping heck- that's brill!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well, it probably means I'm a bit of an anorak! I can tell most of the girls eggs apart too - quite sad really. I should get a life ............ !!!!

Comment

how did you get on?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X